Black Copper Marans chick.... why is this chick brown?

Kedreeva

Longfeather Lane
13 Years
Jun 10, 2010
Michigan
So I just hatched out a few black copper marans... 8 chicks in all. Seven of them look awesome, mostly black, white where is pretty standard. They all have great feathering on their feet.

But there's this ONE chick.... who is.... brown. And not just a little brown or off color black. What's up with this?

Oh, and here's a picture of the brown one sleeping near a black one. The picture doesn't really do the color justice. He stands out so much from the others he may as well be white in the brooder XD
4905866610_1c3a9a7825.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know, I have heard that but I thought wheatens were more white colored. We did have one that I believe WAS a wheaten, as it was almost all white with a small amount of black on the back... but it died
sad.png

They were shipped eggs, but the person has just black coppers. I will mail and ask to be sure, but again I think wheaten chicks are more white than brown.

Last edited:
Hmm well I have no idea but I will be following and hope someone has seen this before. Maybe it's a brand new colour and you are a chicken lottery winner! ding ding ding.

Indeed. I guess I will take pictures along the way just in case someone doesn't recognize it.

I'm wondering if he hasn't got a touch of leucism... guess we'll see if he keeps the pale feathers into adulthood or if he's just the 'ugly duckling' that will turn out normal.

i have the black coppers, the only time i had brown chick hatch was due to "sneaky pete" my gold lace cochin sliding over to the maran side, he had a hole under the nestboxes that i didn't know about lol, one day i caught him over there with the marans, the chicks that hatched brown, turned into the prettiest black hens, gold hackle like the bcm's but with lots of feathers on the legs and feet, and they all turned out to be hens, of course the eggs aren't as dark, but doesn't matter to me since we eat them

Back
Top Bottom