Black Copper Marans discussion thread

This chick looks to be over melanized and will probably not have much copper as an adult. Mossiness tends to be on over melanized birds.
Interesting...The ad says that she has Black Marans in her flock. If a BC mates with a B I'll bet it leads to something like this. The two smallest chicks of the six we hatched out are very dark with barely a light grey underbelly. They also both have the most severe toe deformities. The egg colors were wonderful however.

We'll just have to see what we get.

I looked at the eBay ad and I saw a roo with barring. This seller doesn't seem to cull any hens or roos that don't fit the standard because a breed comes from a good line it doesn't mean you should stop improving it. I did see some nice birds in there too though.
She did say that some Cuckoo or Splash Marans may be shipped too, so there must be some Cuckoo mixed in there as well. Because there isn't a barred Marans, right? I think I've got birds of dubious parentage, lol. It will be interesting to see how they develop overall, but I'll definitely be looking for different stock for breeding, even if it's just my own backyard experiment.

@magdelaine Wasn't really sure of the differences but looked up pics of cuckoo marans and they seem to have a lot more white specks on them. Maybe a cross between the two? Also cuckoo marans don't seem to have feathery legs.
Some cuckoo Marans have feathered shanks/toes. I think they all should (Marans in general) but that's because I like it. I have a pullet from DMRippy that has lovely feathering.

Some cuckoo Marans have feathered shanks/toes.  I think they all should (Marans in general) but that's because I like it.  I have a pullet from DMRippy that has lovely feathering.
French standard (and US) calls for feathered shanks for Marans, English standards call for clean shanks..... Not sure what the other Europe countries go with though I think feathered for the most part....

All my chicks are supposed to be pullets but I know they are sometimes wrong and if they are they say they will take back any cockerels which is good cuz I don't really want any. I hadn't heard that the mossy ones lay darker eggs. That would be nice.

My other BCM is the total opposite. Not a lick of copper on her yet.

I'm not sure if the mottled-looking breast is a negative thing exactly, but I do know I've seen similar patterning in my BCM juveniles. Like the white wing feathers, it soon molts out without a trace and doesn't affect their adult plumage at all.

While I like the look of leg feathering, it is a bit of an inconvenience especially for birds that free range. My birds' feathers get wet, muddy, broken, etc. I'm sure having wet feathers must make their feet cold. My Marans/RIR cross pullet only has lightly feathered legs, but the other day while she was foraging one of the pin feathers on her foot broke and she was bleeding all over. Since I'm mostly interested in egg color/production, not having feathered legs and feet isn't a deal breaker for me.

Hi! I have 13 FBCM and 4 blue chicks. My question is this... One of the chicks was black with some white on it's face when it was covered with down. Now that it's feathered out (5 weeks) the feathers are not black. They are a dark charcoal color. The blue chicks are a medium to pale greyish color. The blacks are black. This one is destinctively different. I haven't gotten a good picture yet, but I will try for one tomorrow. Any ideas?

Anyone raising FBCM in the North Mississippi area. Looking to incubate some fertile eggs.....

Thanks,
Lew

Hi everyone!

Could someone help me with a breeding question? I have two females and neither has much coppering. My new male is very dark - possibly mahogany. It seems unlikely that I will produce females with nice coppering from this match or do I just need to try and see?

I also have my new male's father, who is lighter with a halo. I thought about breeding him with with one of my hens, but that would then be a sister to my new male. The whole purpose of the new females is to breed back to my dark male, so a brother/sister mating is too close, correct?

Thanks!

Hi everyone!

Could someone help me with a breeding question? I have two females and neither has much coppering. My new male is very dark - possibly mahogany. It seems unlikely that I will produce females with nice coppering from this match or do I just need to try and see?

I also have my new male's father, who is lighter with a halo. I thought about breeding him with with one of my hens, but that would then be a sister to my new male. The whole purpose of the new females is to breed back to my dark male, so a brother/sister mating is too close, correct?

Thanks!
I have had favorable results with the hens with no copper and mahogany cock. Almost all offspring have some copper and some have a fair bit. I would try it and see, you just don't know the genetics that are there till you give it a try. Personally I would avoid a brother/sister mating but if I had no other choice or I was trying to rule out or solidify a trait, I might just try it. JMO :)

Took some birds to my first show last weekend and one of my two BCM pullets was Reserve Champion Continental!! Learned a ton, met some great people and had a blast.

Back
Top Bottom