Black Jersey Giant thread!!!!!

Pics
Anyone order there giants from my pet chicken?
I heard if you order from a hatchery they don't grow as big as from a breeder. I just got 2 pullets and a roo from them last week and I am hoping they will be " true" giants :) Anyone know where there black jersey giant stock comes from ?

I got my BJG's from Meyers hatchery. Mine aren't any bigger than my other chickens either. They do have the yellow on the bottom of their feet, which is what I was told that true Black Jersey Giants have. But I was very disappointed with their size. Love these chickens though. Very docile and friendly! Even to each other and other chickens. Love them. Just don't know why they are not big.

I got my BJG's from Meyers hatchery.  Mine aren't any bigger than my other chickens either.  They do have the yellow on the bottom of their feet, which is what I was told that true Black Jersey Giants have.  But I was very disappointed with their size.  Love these chickens though.  Very docile and friendly!  Even to each other and other chickens.  Love them.  Just don't know why they are not big. 
[/quote how old are your birds? I've read they can take anywhere from 8 months to 2 years to reach full size.

This chicken is @8weeks old plus maybe a few days. Does this look like a Black Jersey Giant to you experienced folk? It was supposed to be a Black Australorp. But it has a beak coloring and around the eye coloring different than my other black chicken of the same age. Also if a BJG do you see pullet or cockerel?

Here is a closeup of the head, the bird on the left is the one I'm asking about.

This is the friendliest and most docile of the 4 chicks I bought. Thanks for your opinions! Jeannie

Back
Top Bottom