Black Jersey Giants???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sabrinainmiss, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Sabrinainmiss

Sabrinainmiss Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    Gothenburg, Nebraska
    Hello all,
    I was just wondering if anyone has or had this breed, and what are your thoughts? A fellow has several pullets he is getting rid of and I was curious about the breed.[​IMG]

2. pharr389

pharr389 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    southeast georgia
    hello,
    i have black giants. 1 rooster (5 months old) and
    10 pullets. i forget how old the pullets are, i would guess 3 months? i know they are almost as big as my 5 month old rhode island reds. i'm told they'll get quite large.see pics
    rooster
    [​IMG]

pullets. notice their size compared to the rir's and partridge rocks
    [​IMG]

sorry no more info at this time

3. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a few too. In my experience they are very quiet, healthy, and cold hardy.

They'll stay out the longest when the temps are below freezing and I've never had frostbite problems on their combs. That's really impressive to me because all of my other breeds have had frostbite on their combs.

They're calm and friendly and lay well- although they are not a production breed so you won't get tons of eggs. On the other hand I think that's why they're so healthy.

All in all I think they're great and I wouldn't hesitate to get more. [​IMG]

4. ChickMoma73

ChickMoma73 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    my first experience with jbg was one I caught on a dirt road...had all its tail feathers ripped out by some predator....she was far from any homes so I caught her and gave her to mom for mothers day....hehe.....she lived up to her name and was mom's biggest bird. she was VERY freindly and docile. a good layer...and also layed double yolked eggs fairly often...alll of her eggs were jumbo size.

now I have two hens of my own and I love them!.

would definitly recomend this breed to anyone interested in chickens

as a side note, they are supposed to be the largst breed in the world when full grown. However, they take longer than most breeds to grow to full size.

5. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2007
    North Florida
    Pharr389, Could you tell me where you got your Jersey Giants from? Thanks, JB

6. Sabrinainmiss

Apr 23, 2007
    Gothenburg, Nebraska
    Thanks all, I think I will go first thing in the morning and try a few of these pullets. [​IMG]

7. TransplantedTexan

TransplantedTexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Bear Creek, Wi
    I have one JBG rooster.
    He's pretty docile. He doesn't readily come by ppl, but doesn't get aggressive to ppl either. He is 20 weeks.
    Also, he is good with the other hens and roosters.
    He doesn't take any crap from my two EE roosters, but he leaves them alone as long as they leave him alone.
    I kinda wish I had gotten a few hens. The EE roos are starting to breed the hens, and he isn't attempting.
    I think he's to big, don't think it would be a workable situation for him.

8. pharr389

pharr389 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    southeast georgia
    Jay Bee,

i purchased my giants from the local feed store. they ordered them from mt. healthy hatcheries. i have attached a link

http://www.mthealthy.com/home

9. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2007
    North Florida
    Pharr389: Thanks for the quick response, I'm going to check them out. JB

10. Sabrinainmiss

Apr 23, 2007
    Gothenburg, Nebraska
    Well I did it went out this morning and got 7 of them. They are 18 weeks old and big and very pretty. They are bigger than my older hens already. Should start to lay soon, I hope.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by