Black Jersey Giants???

Sabrinainmiss

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 23, 2007
Gothenburg, Nebraska
Hello all,
I was just wondering if anyone has or had this breed, and what are your thoughts? A fellow has several pullets he is getting rid of and I was curious about the breed.
hmm.png

hello,
i have black giants. 1 rooster (5 months old) and
10 pullets. i forget how old the pullets are, i would guess 3 months? i know they are almost as big as my 5 month old rhode island reds. i'm told they'll get quite large.see pics
rooster
aa291548.jpg

pullets. notice their size compared to the rir's and partridge rocks
6e7c5c47.jpg

sorry no more info at this time

I have a few too. In my experience they are very quiet, healthy, and cold hardy.

They'll stay out the longest when the temps are below freezing and I've never had frostbite problems on their combs. That's really impressive to me because all of my other breeds have had frostbite on their combs.

They're calm and friendly and lay well- although they are not a production breed so you won't get tons of eggs. On the other hand I think that's why they're so healthy.

All in all I think they're great and I wouldn't hesitate to get more.
smile.png

my first experience with jbg was one I caught on a dirt road...had all its tail feathers ripped out by some predator....she was far from any homes so I caught her and gave her to mom for mothers day....hehe.....she lived up to her name and was mom's biggest bird. she was VERY freindly and docile. a good layer...and also layed double yolked eggs fairly often...alll of her eggs were jumbo size.

now I have two hens of my own and I love them!.

would definitly recomend this breed to anyone interested in chickens

as a side note, they are supposed to be the largst breed in the world when full grown. However, they take longer than most breeds to grow to full size.

I have one JBG rooster.
He's pretty docile. He doesn't readily come by ppl, but doesn't get aggressive to ppl either. He is 20 weeks.
Also, he is good with the other hens and roosters.
He doesn't take any crap from my two EE roosters, but he leaves them alone as long as they leave him alone.
I kinda wish I had gotten a few hens. The EE roos are starting to breed the hens, and he isn't attempting.
I think he's to big, don't think it would be a workable situation for him.

Well I did it went out this morning and got 7 of them. They are 18 weeks old and big and very pretty. They are bigger than my older hens already. Should start to lay soon, I hope.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom