Black marans hen has started biting me. Why and how do I stop it?

JulietsMomma

Chirping
Mar 24, 2023
IMG_4917.jpeg

I have 4.5 month old black marans, blue marans, and cream legbars. My black marans has become a butthead 3 days ago. Last night, when I went into the coop to put them to bed, she bit the crap out of my arm and tried to do it again. I have no roosters and she’s the biggest chicken. She is the “boss” as far as pecking order goes so I’m assuming she’s trying to dominate me but I’m not 100% sure.

None of the chickens are sick. I inspect them daily. Coop and run are both clean. None have started laying yet so not broody.

How do I correct her behavior?

i just let mine peck me and when they see it doesn't affect me they eventually stop. i did have 1 like ur lady and did a if u wanna bite then you get to suffer being picked up and cuddled (which she hated)
Thank you! I will try this and see if it helps.

Lets see a picture of the

I am wondering if you have a rooster. Personally, I do not let any animal bite me. I don't think it is a healthy relationship to take abuse from anything.

Mrs K
i agree with you but she was my best show girl and i was reluctant to get rid of her. after a few cuddling sessions shed just side eye me

Another question is what do you mean, "put them to bed?" Some birds take daily handling, but most chickens prefer a hands off relationship. I don't ever handle my birds unless there is a clear cause. I just let them be chickens.

Mrs K
I make sure they are all in the coop and lock it. I can’t let my chickens free range so they have a run. I don’t let them stay in the run due to predators.

Lets see a picture of the

I am wondering if you have a rooster. Personally, I do not let any animal bite me. I don't think it is a healthy relationship to take abuse from anything.

Mrs K
Yes, I don’t want anything biting either. Definitely not cool

Back
Top Bottom