black meat breeds, silkies ect....

my uncle bought these guys for meat but seems like we might have to keep them little longer to fill up their body

83305_102_7540.jpg

83305_102_7534.jpg

83305_102_7541.jpg

83305_102_7515.jpg

Last edited:
interesting thread, and maybe i wont be called a monster for wanting to eat extra cockerels and eggs.. lol just noticed some of these breeds, lok like my hen who i just said looked spanish in shape, but has black everything.. wondering now how she would do with a silkie male, and feel bad i didnt get to sale earlier to by her sister pullets for five bucks a piece as well. wonder what crossing silkie to sumatra would do to keep sumatra look, but silkie black blood, bones, meat, skin and feathers.. which way would the cross most likely, or has worked in past?

hehe i can 'hear' mention of my pretty girl miles away!! yes, i have standard silkies that are weighing 8-10lbs at the biggest. they dont really fill out till about 7-8 months BUT wow they have a TON of meat. i have butchered a few, as originally i had 6 extra roosters! they are really tasty too! i do have hatching eggs available if your interestedd

@shadowpaint, would you happen to have pics of your giant silkies, compared to general and bantam? i know nothing about silkie sizes and such but hear alot, and only seen big crosses, and ones size of my game hens.

thanks that does, and it actually has black skin! like that they lack the beards and all. have any without the crest? how much do you charge fr hatching eggs (though very leery of the post office handling, so just asking for now)?

silkie or sumatra meat,

just curious?

Do you cook black meat birds, like you would a regular chicken or are there special ways of cooking black meat ?

Have had silkie before...

You cook it the same as any other chicken. If it's a young bird, fry or roast or what ever. Older birds, best for slow, moist cooking methods.

Black skinned birds taste like chicken
tongue.png
The meat itself is only dark on the outside edge, cut into it and it is the same color as any other chicken.

Back
Top Bottom