black meat breeds, silkies ect....

Quote:
I sell quail eggs to Asian markets and one fellow explained to me he used it as medicine and they pretty much made soup with it and just used the broth, and a coupla months later I forget the good oil /grease they have in the skin but there are supposedly 2 different oils that are good for cholesterol that are available by cooking these birds but they are mostly pets here with not as much of a chance of being eaten here as they are from where the fellow I was talking to they are eaten regularly .

Quote:
Are there any American breeders for the Ayam Cemani or the Yeonsan Ogye ?

I have talked to someone that said they were working on getting Ayam Cemani...but not sure of the timeline
I personally would love to have some Swedish Black Hens but I have only gotten a few emails back about trying to import some. After all, I have Hedemora and Swedish Flower Hens. Maybe I should make a few calls to the people that have already done it(with other breeds) and split the cost
tongue.png

Quote:
Are there any American breeders for the Ayam Cemani or the Yeonsan Ogye ?

i really don't know of any breeders but i'm hoping for some

Quote:
quarantine alone is pricey almost $600 PER BIRD. that does not include vet testing or cost of the birds..

Quote:
Hi, I thought I should pass this info on, if you're after a large black meat breed. The big commercial producers of Silkie meat in the U.S. and Canada don't use pure bred Silkies, but instead use a mixed breed that has been developed with the Cornish Cross. These meat "Silkies" grow and develop much faster than the true Silkie and reach eating size at 12 weeks.

If you let them go longer, they would probably get larger because 12 weeks is still pretty young for a chicken - 2 or 3 more months before they even reach sexual maturity!

Here's a pamphlet produced in 1998 by the British Columbia ministry of Agriculture:
Silkies: Planning for Profit

You could try to make contact with someone at a commercial Silkie farm, either that or find someplace in an Asian neighborhood where live meat Silkies from a commercial Silkie farm are for sale.

The same thing has happened in Australia, the market for Silkie meat is filled by a cross between a modern meat hybrid and the Sillkie. Here's a very interesting article about its development:
DEVELOPING A LARGE DARK SKINNED MEAT BIRD BY CROSSING WITH THE SILKIE

Best regards - exop

what wait a minute now they tryin to make a meat silkies, wow i'll have to see that, not good for the chicken but yeah it might be cool

some game bird breeders, keep a giant red silkie type on their farms supposedly, for brooding, im trying to get either some eggs, or at least pics. im guessing they wouldnt be confirmation, but are "fluffy" said by friend whoes family keeps them. their kids love playing with them, and supposedly these compared to the game birds are really heavy like a meat breed. as pets i like the idea of the bantam silkies, myself, ut latey wondering if just keeping some larger ones also for food purposes, or selling offspring would be good. also can brood alot of eggs unlike bantam breeds.

Back
Top Bottom