Black Sex Link Chickens

longlegz86

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 23, 2012
Rutherfordton NC
I am getting some Barred Rock Hens and a Rhode Island Red Rooster soon. What will happen if the Barred Rock hens are not pure bred Barred Rocks? Will it still produce a black sex linked chick?

:frow Welcome to the forum! :frow Glad you joined us! :frow

I don't know if you've seen this. In the very first post Tadkerson does a great job of explaining all about how to make sex links.

Tadkerson’s Sex Link Thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

There are two parts to your answer. If the hen is barred, she will give the barring to her sons and not her daughters. So technically they can be considered sex links with a RIR rooster.

But the problem is that you have to be able to see the spot on top of the chick's head to be able to tell if it is barred or not. With your hen possibly being mixed heritage, she may have genes that won't allow that to happen. It's all about down color at hatch, not final feather color. It's quite possible she will have some genetic mix that prevents the spot from showing up.

If she looks like a barred rock, there is a real good chance at least some of her chicks will have the right down color. But if she is mixed heritage, it is possible some won't. It just depends on what she is mixed with.

Aghhhh So confusing. I will check out that post. I have read several posts about this but havent seen nothing like I asked. I guess it all depends on if she has "what it takes" to give a sex linked baby. So we will see.

Last edited:
If you know the genetics of the parents its not really all that confusing. But chickens genetics can get mangled pretty easily once you start to deal with crosses. If you knew your hen was pure Barred Rock and the rooster pure RIR, there would be no confusion at all.

I hope you realize that them being a sex link says nothing about their laying ability. There are a lot of myths about sex links, many of which are not true. All them being a sex link means is that you can tell sex at hatch. Nothing more.

Well thats a good thing. I would hate to have to "hunt" and "dig" for the sex haha....Another chicken breeder in my area told me that the Black Sex Link ones sold VERY good in this area so I figured I would give it a try. I had chickens as a kid but so much has changed. I just hope I learn the right stuff and not mess anything up. Thanks for all the help. Im starting to understand a bit better but its going to take some time
roll.png

Another thing......(im sure ive read it somewhere but I just dont understand ...yet).....

You cant mate two Black Sex links right? If I was to want to mate a BSL hen...is there anything I can mate her with so they come out Black Sex linked again?
barnie.gif

You didn't read that post I gave you, did you? :old I'll admit it can be confusing unless you study it.

No, you cannot mate sex links and get sex links, whether they are red sex links, black sex links, or feather-sexed chicks.

To get a black sex link (BSL) the female has to be barred and the male has to not be barred. The hen gives the barred gene to her sons and not her daughters. The rooster gives a gene to both his sons and his daughters. That means the BSL roosters have one barred gene and one not barred gene. He may give either one to his sons and daughters. The BSL hens do not have the barred gene so they will give a not-barred gene to their sons and nothing to their daughters. Based on the spot, you have no idea if the offspring of BSL x BSL are male or female.

Last edited:
You didn't read that post I gave you, did you?
old.gif
I'll admit it can be confusing unless you study it.
No, you cannot mate sex links and get sex links, whether they are red sex links, black sex links, or feather-sexed chicks.
To get a black sex link (BSL) the female has to be barred and the male has to not be barred. The hen gives the barred gene to her sons and not her daughters. The rooster gives a gene to both his sons and his daughters. That means the BSL roosters have one barred gene and one not barred gene. He may give either one to his sons and daughters. The BSL hens do not have the barred gene so they will give a not-barred gene to their sons and nothing to their daughters. Based on the spot, you have no idea if the offspring of BSL x BSL are male or female.
Im sorry for being a pain in the rear....Ive been reading it and its soooooo confusing even after reading it lol. Another probably dumb question....once I get the Black Sex Link females....what can they be mated with? Anything? I have to study the charts again on that

To make a Black Sex Link is easy.

Red Rooster (Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire) over a pure Barred Rock hen. Ta Da !!! The chicks hatch as black chicks are pullets, with no head spot. Head spot chicks, that soon feather in like a Barred Rock are males, ie cockerels. Easy peasey.

But... Then you're done. They are mutts. Nice name, Black Sex Link, Black Star, etc, but hey, they're mutts. You can breed them 'cause they are living, healthy chickens, but the whole sex link thing is done, as it is a one time deal. You just make more mutt chicks.

Hope that helps. That's as simple as I can put it.

Last edited:
To make a Black Sex Link is easy.

Red Rooster (Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire) over a pure Barred Rock hen. Ta Da !!! The chicks hatch as black chicks are pullets, with no head spot. Head spot chicks, that soon feather in like a Barred Rock are males, ie cockerels. Easy peasey.

But... Then you're done. They are mutts. Nice name, Black Sex Link, Black Star, etc, but hey, they're mutts. You can breed them 'cause they are living, healthy chickens, but the whole sex link thing is done, as it is a one time deal. You just make more mutt chicks.

Hope that helps. That's as simple as I can put it.

Ok thanks. That helps out :)

Back
Top Bottom