Black spots on comb

HoppinTurtle

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2019
Polk County, TX
My 4 month old Buff orphington pullet has these black spots on her comb. I’ve searched this forum and google but am not clear on what this is and would like informed opinions. These chickens are well cared for. Just popped up recently. Have 3 pullets total and “Dixie” is the only one with this. No other symptoms.

Attachments

• 21744F2B-5932-4254-AC02-5E2B6D488F85.jpeg
    21744F2B-5932-4254-AC02-5E2B6D488F85.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I guess I need to have a talk with them! They have a big coop and run and are out free ranging 2-4 hours each day (while I watch). She’s a bit bossy. I guess it’s to be expected. We built a big coop to avoid this. Aren’t Buff’s supposed to be sweet? Lol. Thank you.
No matter how nice, someone is going to be at the top and someone is going to be at the bottom of the pecking order. Like other things, "Pecks Happen".

Here is Dixie this morning. Looking better already. I put colloidal silver on her yesterday with a q-tip! Seems to have helped. For years I lurked and researched about raising chickens. I take this duty very seriously and do my best to keep these ladies out of trouble. Thank you all again!

Attachments

• 1CCCEFA8-910B-43B0-A5A5-C134A9643E98.jpeg
    1CCCEFA8-910B-43B0-A5A5-C134A9643E98.jpeg
    311.2 KB · Views: 22
Here is Dixie this morning. Looking better already. I put colloidal silver on her yesterday with a q-tip! Seems to have helped. For years I lurked and researched about raising chickens. I take this duty very seriously and do my best to keep these ladies out of trouble. Thank you all again!

I am the same way and sometimes I think I love them too much!:)

I'm so glad you posted this question and everyone answered! Four of our nine chickens have little black marks like this on their combs. I worried it was frostbite (it's been getting into the single digits the last few nights), despite their heater and insulated coop. But, looks like they may be feeling just as much winter cabin fever as we are at this point...:th

Back
Top Bottom