Black spots on comb?

HappyChickens101

Chirping
Oct 5, 2020
Tennessee
Hey guys so my littlest hen has some black spots on her comb it may be pecking but I’m not sure. My other chickens seem to have barely any black spots but they still have maybe one or two. The rooster has like dark looking skin. I’m new to chickens so I don’t know what it is or what the pox are.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    473.9 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    464.3 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    604.8 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 18
We live in Tennessee so the weather is bipolar. It is winter and how would I prevent frostbite? I do have this bottle spray. Oils I just put this in it for awhile?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 18
I've heard the opposite about Vaseline use in freezing temps. I've heard that it can cause problems and possibly exacerbate frostbite. You probably should research this as I'm unsure about the facts regarding Vaseline/petroleum jelly.
I haven't put anything on my boys comb and it's been similar temps here in NC that you're experiencing and they choose to sleep outside (they've been doing this since July 2019). Edit note..... I make the boys sleep inside if the weather is cold and windy or dangerous.
For frostbite prevention, it's best to keep a well ventilated coop that's dry and free of drafts.
The other comb does look like pecks from another bird.
@Eggcessive has helped me with comb concerns before and is extremely knowledgeable.

Back
Top Bottom