Black spots on combs?!?

NashvilleLuLu

Chirping
Oct 15, 2018
Hello! We have searched everywhere that we can think of, but we have not found any ailment that looks like the black spots on our three chickens and one rooster. It resembles some frostbite photos, but nothing we've found looks exactly like it.

These black spots are on all four of them: Black Maran, Ameraucana Splash, and Red Wyandottes. All approx 35 weeks old. They weigh approx 5 pounds. No obvious change in weight, they are eating and drinking normally.

No behavioural changes. Eating and drinking well. No change in their poop. Spots appeared four days go and haven't really changed. They are sanding themselves with DE and dirt. (The black spots aren't dirt.)

Weather has changed. Temps dipping into the low 30'sF. They are in a tractor coop with straw.

We are open to thoughts and recommended treatment, if any! Thanks in advance.

IMG_1872.jpg
IMG_1873.jpg
IMG_1876.jpg
IMG_1872.jpg
IMG_1873.jpg
IMG_1877.jpg
IMG_1875.jpg

Last edited:
You may not notice them when they do it, since they do it so quickly, but chickens peck one another on their combs a lot. They don't just do it when they have a dust up. They do it to the one beside them at the feeder or waterer when one thinks the other is being too pushy and not respectful.

Notice how they are almost all irregular in shape and size. There is a type of black spot, though, that's probably clinical in nature, but I've never been able to identify what it is. It appears as tiny dots of black pepper on mostly rooster combs. If you scrape one with a finger nail, there's a tiny bit of liquid in it. I've dabbed Blu-kote on these and they disappear in a couple of days and I've never seen them come back. These are not fowl pox, though, which is a pretty hideous disease and can occur inside the mouth, too.

The black lesions depicted in your photos are harmless.

this is on my chickens too, it is just because they are pecking at each other, this is normal, but if it becomes excessive, it can be bad. Don't worry though, you are good to go! (btw your girl are beautiful)

You may not notice them when they do it, since they do it so quickly, but chickens peck one another on their combs a lot. They don't just do it when they have a dust up. They do it to the one beside them at the feeder or waterer when one thinks the other is being too pushy and not respectful.

Notice how they are almost all irregular in shape and size. There is a type of black spot, though, that's probably clinical in nature, but I've never been able to identify what it is. It appears as tiny dots of black pepper on mostly rooster combs. If you scrape one with a finger nail, there's a tiny bit of liquid in it. I've dabbed Blu-kote on these and they disappear in a couple of days and I've never seen them come back. These are not fowl pox, though, which is a pretty hideous disease and can occur inside the mouth, too.

The black lesions depicted in your photos are harmless.
Thanks for your reply! I do see them doing it each other every now and again. Reba the Rooster has a few, but not many. Is it possible that he is doing that to the ladies too much or too roughly??

this is on my chickens too, it is just because they are pecking at each other, this is normal, but if it becomes excessive, it can be bad. Don't worry though, you are good to go! (btw your girl are beautiful)
Thanks for your reply (and compliment)! I do see them pecking each other every now and again. Reba the Rooster has a few, but not many. Is it possible that he is doing that to the ladies too much or too roughly??

Chickens rank themselves according to rules only they are privy to. Hens do it to other hens and even do it to roosters who aren't always top of the social order. Roosters do it to each other, and less to the hens except if they happen to grab a hen on the comb during mating.

Chickens bickering about their places in the pecking order are a lot like human siblings bickering among themselves, partly out of entertainment and partly because they feel they deserve more attention than they're getting from the parents. As long as everyone is getting what they need or think they deserve, usually things appear peaceful.

Everyone should pull up a comfortable chair and chicken watch for a few hours. It's really amazing what you'll learn. One of the things I've learned is how much like chickens people are.

We believe y'all are correct and it's pecking marks. They seem to have figured some things out and the marks have decreased. Thanks for your reply!

Chickens rank themselves according to rules only they are privy to. Hens do it to other hens and even do it to roosters who aren't always top of the social order. Roosters do it to each other, and less to the hens except if they happen to grab a hen on the comb during mating.

Chickens bickering about their places in the pecking order are a lot like human siblings bickering among themselves, partly out of entertainment and partly because they feel they deserve more attention than they're getting from the parents. As long as everyone is getting what they need or think they deserve, usually things appear peaceful.

Everyone should pull up a comfortable chair and chicken watch for a few hours. It's really amazing what you'll learn. One of the things I've learned is how much like chickens people are.
:goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom