Blackening Beak on Rooster Juvenile Looks like fungus or mold?

Thanks to all for the opinions so far!!!

And for those that remember my introduction post, yes... I lost two chicks since acquiring my flock...

One of the Wyandottes got under the edge of the chicken tractor and was promptly processed by one of our dogs as fertilizer. :-(

We also lost the accidental Americauna as a SIDS case. She was hanging out, cheeping in my hands at 9-10pm... annnnnd she was dead en la manana at 8am. No apparent cause of death. :-( Bummer too... she was a pretty little chick!

Sorry for your loss. :(

Yeah, it definitely sounds like you have some sort of respiratory issue going on.

Had you ever treated the chickens with the DE prior to finding the mites? (And you did say that these two both had the cough when you got them a month ago, right? Did they come from the same place?)

Sorry for your loss. :(

Yeah, it definitely sounds like you have some sort of respiratory issue going on.

Had you ever treated the chickens with the DE prior to finding the mites? (And you did say that these two both had the cough when you got them a month ago, right? Did they come from the same place?)

Separate farms about 30-45 mins apart.

No treatments prior.

The hen is basically gorgeously healthy... except for the rattling cough.

The Rooster has been a scraggly fella since I got him. But he looks a lot better after the soaking I gave him 2 days ago! He still smells 300% better, too!

Poultry Dust from Amazon on the way...!

Forget about DE, it's as useless as teets on a bore hog, and cause more respiratory problems for you and them than it will ever do good. The poultry dust will get rid of the mites if you follow the directions. Most all the Rhodies I've ever had, had a dark top beak like that. If they are ate up with mites, they may have worms too? I don't think worming them would hurt them once you get the mites on the run. @Texas Kiki should be able to give you good advise.
Good luck!

Are you in the US?
If so each state has a state lab where you can have testing done to figure out what you're dealing with.

You should probably keep a closed flock until you know what you're dealing with so you don't spread illness.

Back
Top Bottom