Blind sick chicken found alone in park help

Are you in a warm climate where there are still mosquitoes? Fowl pox can cause some of the bumps around the face and eyes. A respiratory disease such as coryza may cause swelling of the eyelids and face with a bad odor. MG can cause some of those symptoms as well. I would follow the advice to flush the eyes and apply either Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin to the eyes twice daily. But try to press out any pus that may be around the eye. If you can get some antibiotic, such as SMZ-TMP or sulfadimethoxine I would treat with that. Baytril, Tylosin or others may be good, depending on the organism.
I’m in Florida so about as warm as it gets this time of the year lol. I was looking into Coryza as well thank you. What kind of basic utensils can I use when trying to get the pus out if I don’t have any med equipment for removing pus? I don’t have any of those things at the moment for antibiotics unfortunately, would I still be able to remove the pus without applying anything after? Or anything I can use in place of it until tomorrow? Should I wait until tomorrow or do this now?

Saline can be used when it cools. Many drug stores carry saline for irrigating, or eye wash. Pecking marks also could be on the face and eyelids. Wet warm compress can be used for a few minutes on the eyes while holding the chicken, to get those eyes open.
Thank you! So do I just compress with a wash cloth or paper towel or something else with the saline on it, or should I work the pus out by gently but forcefully pushing?

Very underweight
Both eyes swollen shut
Did not run or try to escape when picked up

What do I do?
i’d start with a super warm wash cloth on her eyes. maybe a warm bath to help to help loosen up any back up inside. i just recently took in a recuse chicken and she loved the bath. i took a storage tub with a lid, cut a hole in the top and duct taped a rag around the hole for comfort. a cooked egg can hold her over night till your able to get some feed. how heavy do you think she weighs?

Very underweight
Both eyes swollen shut
Did not run or try to escape when picked up

What do I do?
Awww! I hope you can help her. Sounds like you’ve got some good responses on helping her. My daughter is nursing a hen that my grandson found on a construction site he was working at. She’s done a great job and “Aria” is healing very well!

Attachments

• IMG_5880.jpeg
    IMG_5880.jpeg
    398.9 KB · Views: 13
  • lp_image.jpeg
    lp_image.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 12
  • lp_image.jpeg
    lp_image.jpeg
    29.3 KB · Views: 13
Remove the pus or there's a danger of the hen going blind. Then flush with eye saline wash and treat twice a day with Terramycin eye antibiotic.
Is it still safe to do this if I do not have terramycin eye antibiotic? Or is there anything I can use in place of that as an antibiotic?

Back
Top Bottom