Blood in chick poop

Megs501

Songster
7 Years
Mar 2, 2012
Flint Hills KS
My Coop
My Coop
I found one of my chicks dead this morning. :( at first I just thought it was just natural, but I've noticed there are darker poops in some spots than others. They look like a rust color, could this be blood?

I'm going to try to take a good picture and post it. Im scared my babies may be sick! Any help would be appreciated.

***Sorry the pics aren't very good quality, I did my best with an old camera =/

Does this look like normal variation for chick poop? I looked at some older threads with grown chicken poop but it's so hard to tell with it being on the paper towels. They all seem fine? They sleep eat and poop, ow am i supposed to know if theyre sleeping too much, etc? Anyone with experience, ideas, help?!

Last edited:
Hi, I feel there may be blood in those droppings, though it's hard to be sure. Are you seeing any signs of cocci like pale faces, ruffled feathers, not eating much?

If you have any doubts, it might be best to treat for cocci just in case. Chicks this young can die from other issues, not just cocci, but it might be worth playing safe.

Erica

Erica, Thank you so much! How can I tell if their faces are pale? =/ will they just be lighter or actually a white color? Also, since tomorrow is Easter I'm afraid most feed stores I'll be closed.. Is there any home remedy I can do until Monday? I don't want to lose my babies.

Back
Top Bottom