blood in the coop

HeatherFeather, I didn't realize you are new to the forum. Welcome!!
frow.gif

Vet wrap is what you want to wrap injuries on a chicken. It comes in handy if they get bumble foot. Happened here once.
Hopefully no one is coughing blood. I would think you would be seeing it during the day too. You may need a thermos of tea rather than a cup.
wink.png
if you are going to sit out and observe.

Dont worry you'll hear the coughing and if you have a flashlight you'll see them shaking its head ..
Yes I would pick up the chicken in the dark .Hold the wings down and turn it upside down and look at the feet and then place it back in its spot on the roost....
I have this powder that I use for the horses wounds that i dab on a bleeding toe or pecked head ..two man job ....one person holds the chicken by covering the wings so they are against its body and hold the chicken upside down slightly ..and I have used neosporin also ..also another two man job is to just wash it with a sponge if its a cut to see what it could be?....if you cannot vet wrap it can you place the chicken in a seperate cage so its not walking on a dirty service?.....thats what I did ....Good Luck ...If its not one thing its another ...enjoy your tea....
smile.png

Last edited:
I kept getting a blood splattered feeder. Figured out it was mouse blood. The chickens were enjoying some snacks when the critters tried to steal chicken feed in the evening or early morning.

If one of the chickens or rooters are younger or kinnda knew to the coop even when they seem fine twith each other they still pluck feathers i had a rooster that even though he's much older than my hens they would gang up on him and pluck feathers because he's new!

We have exactly the same thing going on. Noticed a couple of days ago, blood on the wall splattered near the roosting poles in our easter eggers coop. Hope it isn't a cold. They seem fine. Can't find any signs of pecking, a cut anythng anywhere though.

Quote:
You can examine any if you take a helper into the coop at night and just do it while your helper holds the flashllight. With mine, I can turn the lights on and do a few, but then some would leave the roost while I was doing it since I have so many. That is why I mentioned the flashllight and helper.

Back
Top Bottom