Blood ring? Bad egg?

Lpskitfit

Songster
Oct 5, 2020
Hey guys! I've had my suspicions that this is a blood ring for a while, but man I didn't want to admit it... The embryo still looks like it's growing but the ring is making me too anxious so I finally have to post and ask for a second opinion. He's on day 16 but there was about a week and a half that my thermometer was apparently measuring higher than the actual temp so I have a feeling his development was stunted by the cooler temps (like, 96-97°f)! I hope my boy Johnathan is still kicking it as he's my first ever baby I've tried to hatch :fl. If not, I have some other eggs in a seperate incubator (my mom loves me and got me two incubators that have been working spectacularly!) but I'd hate for him to perish.
20201020_090417.jpg
20201020_090410.jpg

I wasn't as worried until I noticed my other eggs look so much better and they're only on day 6. But at least these guys are still vibing, right?
20201020_090532.jpg
20201020_090551.jpg

Lastly, can anyone tell me if this guy is fertile? His airsac is developing in accordance with the egg candling charts I've looked at, and the shell is darker, but I can't see an embryo and he's on day 16 too (though possibly stunted with my other egg).
20201020_090457.jpg
20201020_090449.jpg
:clap

By day 16, your embyro should be taking up most of the egg. These are chicken eggs and have days underneath the images. By day 16, that egg should be dark. 4840eef366f2a4ea4efe1015c2cf69ca.jpg

Yeah that's why I've been worried. Do you think I need to go ahead and trash the egg?

I would. The embryo should be further along in development. Right now you've got a ticking time bomb. Bad eggs can explode and spread bacteria in your incubator and all over your developing eggs.

Usually when you candle, by day 6, your embyro should be wiggling and moving around a lot. I usually look for movement and check for blood rings to make sure my eggs are developing as they should be.

A week for temps to be off might have messed with your hatch. I'd candle all of them and check for movement.

I would. The embryo should be further along in development. Right now you've got a ticking time bomb. Bad eggs can explode and spread bacteria in your incubator and all over your developing eggs.

Usually when you candle, by day 6, your embyro should be wiggling and moving around a lot. I usually look for movement and check for blood rings to make sure my eggs are developing as they should be.

A week for temps to be off might have messed with your hatch. I'd candle all of them and check for movement.
The only ones that had the bad week were the one with the ring and the one that looks infertile, and thankfully, they're in a seperate bator now. I haven't thought to look for movement but I will when I get home. Even if I see movement in the day 16, is it a goner?

Personally, if it’s not smelling, I’d leave it just in the minuscule chance your wrong, at least till lockdown.
That's what I'm thinking I'll do since it's seperate from the other eggs. If it explodes then the worst that happens is no duckling and some mess to clean. It isn't smelling but if it does I'll go ahead and dispose of it. I didn't even think about scent so thank you!

Back
Top Bottom