Bloody Chicken Poop, Diahhrea, Poop Chart

Pics

steffkec

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 5, 2013
So I am a first-time chicken owner and have been puzzled by my chickens' poo!
I was very worried pretty much every time I saw an ugly poo... and I ended up treating with pro-biotics, electrolytes, medicated foods, and finally antibiotics with really no change in their poop.
I recently came across this poop chart: (http://chat.allotment.org/index.php?topic=17568.0) posted by another BYC member. I just thought it would be good to re-post this chart as I have had some of my concerns laid to rest.
Things I've learned: what looks like blood in poop can really just be intestinal lining (normal), and other ugly poops do not always indicate a problem.
Here it is again: THE POOP CHART
I think every newbie would benefit from learning about their chicken poops.

If concerned treat for Coccidiosis,cocci kills very fast but is easily controlled using a coccidiostat. Treating with Corid will not harm birds,but not treating(if they have coccidiosis)may result in deaths.

Dose amounts were posted on your other thread.

thank you so much for this chart! i was super worried when i saw red in my new chicks poop but i found it on the chart and it turns out it's completely normal and not coccidiosis like i feared. very helpful!

Welcome to BYC! That poop charts has errors. If you see more than a couple of poops with blood, or what they call intestinal lining, it's *not* normal!

-Kathy

thank you so much for this chart! i was super worried when i saw red in my new chicks poop but i found it on the chart and it turns out it's completely normal and not coccidiosis like i feared. very helpful!

Here is a dosing picture:
900x900px-LL-a380cae7_Untitled.jpeg

I always treat for a severe outbreak.

-Kathy

does any one know how much direct oral corid 9.6% in mL I need to give my bantam 2-3 lb chicken? I was told to give it to her directly in the mouth until I not longer see blood in her stool then do maintenance. Does that sound right?
No idea, I used 2 tsp. of corid 9.6% liquid solution per gallon of water or 1tsp corid per half gallon of water. Give this for 5 days as the ONLY source of water for all chickens. If its a severe case, you could treat longer if you want. Also, treat all of your chickens, they have it already if they have been sharing water with the infected one.

Last edited:
does any one know how much direct oral corid 9.6% in mL I need to give my bantam 2-3 lb chicken? I was told to give it to her directly in the mouth until I not longer see blood in her stool then do maintenance. Does that sound right?
In addition to the two teaspoons per gallon, you can give it orally at 0.1ml per pound. Fear not, it's quite safe, so you can do both.
big_smile.png
When I give it orally I don't usually have to do it more than two days in a row... by day three they seem to be on the mend and are drinking on their own.

Do oral two days along with 2 teaspoons per gallon (5 days), then do 1/2 teaspoon per gallon for 1-2 weeks.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom