1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bloody Egg.... do I need be worried?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickiemom1012, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Chickiemom1012

Chickiemom1012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Denmark
    My son always goes out and get the eggs each day.... so today we got 3 instead of 2 eggs... girls are just starting to lay. So when he comes in with it it's got blood all over it. Not tons but enought to worry me. So I checked the girls they were free ranging and none of them had any blood on their bottoms, and all of the nest boxes were free of blood. So not sure what happpened. Is it possible for there to be blood the first time or two a hen lays their first eggs?????

Thanks Denine

2. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    With just starting to lay pullets, normal. You will get one with a few spots or a smear of blood from time to time.

I got one with some smeared blood today, I think it means that Dumplin the light brahma has started laying. She was the last one to go.

3. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Almost all of my first time layers have a bit of blood on the eggs. Sometimes it is a fair amount.

4. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Yep Normal.
    Just keep an eye on them......just in case. But it is normal to have a bit there on the egg and even on occassion inside the egg.

5. Chickiemom1012

Chickiemom1012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Denmark
    Thanks so much, now I don't have to compulsively check them every 20 min to make sure they are OK. We have had some casualities since April when we first got them. The kids are a little paraniod, and myself too!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by