Bloody Egg.... do I need be worried?

Chickiemom1012

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 21, 2009
Denmark
My son always goes out and get the eggs each day.... so today we got 3 instead of 2 eggs... girls are just starting to lay. So when he comes in with it it's got blood all over it. Not tons but enought to worry me. So I checked the girls they were free ranging and none of them had any blood on their bottoms, and all of the nest boxes were free of blood. So not sure what happpened. Is it possible for there to be blood the first time or two a hen lays their first eggs?????

Thanks Denine

With just starting to lay pullets, normal. You will get one with a few spots or a smear of blood from time to time.

I got one with some smeared blood today, I think it means that Dumplin the light brahma has started laying. She was the last one to go.

Yep Normal.
Just keep an eye on them......just in case. But it is normal to have a bit there on the egg and even on occassion inside the egg.

Thanks so much, now I don't have to compulsively check them every 20 min to make sure they are OK. We have had some casualities since April when we first got them. The kids are a little paraniod, and myself too!!!!

Back
Top Bottom