Bloody poo pullet; is medicated food enough?

Nugget

Songster
12 Years
Sep 2, 2007
EDITED: Is the medicine in medicated start and grow enough to treat coccidia (or just prevent it)? Since bringing her indoors she seems to have stopped pooping blood now and she is otherwise looking well. You can disregard the rest of the post below... (I made a new pen for the 7 weekers in the coop too so the rest of the post is dealt with). I think I'll give her some boiled egg tomorrow to help keep her protein up.

ORIGINAL POST
I noticed raspberry jam poo from one of my 7 week old pullets today. I have had my pullets in with the adults (in a pen) for several weeks. I did a complete clean out today, washed food and water holders and got rid of the pen (was making it hard to keep clean in there and I noticed the bedding under the waterer was very wet!). I moved the sick one indoors with 1 buddy to reduce stress and switched to medicated (coccidiostat) start and grow until I can pick up some coccidia meds (that would be the top differential would it?).

Would it be a good idea to treat everyone (adults and kids) for coccidia? Would it be harmful to treat everyone?

One last question is, am I pushing it trying to mix 7 week olds loose with adults? I have a tractor I could set up for the little ones if necessary. I did make a bench-like thing they can run underneath, and they can get behind the metal trash can to hide if needed. I've heard somewhere about not mixing them until they're about 3/4 the size of the adults? That's months away... what do you think?

Last edited:
Nevermind the last question, I remade the pullet enclosure in the coop so it is more convenient, cleaner and easier to manage. They will stay in there until they can obviously hold their own against the bullies.

The local feed store doesn't have any coccidia medication in stock. I'll have to see where else I can get some from
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom