Bloody roost

I ain't no spring chicken

Hatching
8 Years
May 16, 2011
My hens stopped laying when the weather got cold back around November. About two weeks ago, i put a light in the hen house hoping to stimulate egg production. (So far no eggs.) Today when i went in the hen house to check on them, i noticed quite a bit of blood on the roost underneath the light bulb. The light is high enough for them to roost without touching it so i don't believe one of them was burned. And besides, it's a CFL which should not get that hot. I have one rooster (a sweet Buff Orpington) and six hens. They all look healthy with no obvious signs of an injury. There was so much blood you can see where it covered about a 6 inch section of the roost and actually dripped off. Since they all seem to be fine, i'm not sure what i (if anything) i should do. Any suggestions? Thanks!

is the light on 24/7, or what hours do you have it on? You are going for 12 on /12 off for ideal egg laying. If the light is not going off and they don't get enough sleep time, they will fight.

did you inspect their feet for cuts or bumblefoot? need to find out where the blood is coming from.

The light is on 24/7. I have inspected them as best i can and can't find any wounds. I'll try turning off the light and keeping an eye on them. Thank you so much for the reply!

The light is on 24/7. I have inspected them as best i can and can't find any wounds. I'll try turning off the light and keeping an eye on them. Thank you so much for the reply!
You cannot leave a light on 24/7 this is just asking for disaster in the form of stressed/fighting chickens. Think how you would feel if you had to live with a bright light on 24/7 while trying to sleep,probably grumpy/miserable/ready to kill someone,that is how they are feeling. Lol

Last edited:
You cannot leave a light on 24/7 this is just asking for disaster in the form of stressed/fighting chickens. Think how you would feel if you had to live with a bright light on 24/7 while trying to sleep,probably grumpy/miserable/ready to kill someone,that is how they are feeling. Lol

I know!! And i thought about that when i put the light in, but i know others that have done that with no problem...and are getting eggs. I have now removed the light. After two weeks there were still no eggs, so it was working anyways, and i do believe my poor sweet babies were stressed out. :)

Someone may have picked a blood feather--those or a comb peck can really bleed. I have found bleeding in my coop before, and I just take a look at everyone. Sometimes you can't figure it out. I would put the light on just 12 hour a day. Mine comes on at 5 AM with a timer, and goes off at 5 PM when they have come in to roost. As the days get longer, I will change the timer to later times to go off.

I know!!  And i thought about that when i put the light in, but i know others that have done that with no problem...and are getting eggs.  I have now removed the light.  After two weeks there were still no eggs, so it was working anyways, and i do believe my poor sweet babies were stressed out.  :)
I don't have a light on and I am getting eggs. 12 to 14 hr max for lighting. The CFL is also a questionable source of light for animals in the barn.

I don't have a light on and I am getting eggs. 12 to 14 hr max for lighting. The CFL is also a questionable source of light for animals in the barn.

What part of the country are you? My hens' production slowed last winter, but this winter it has completely stopped...but it has been colder this year than last so i don't know if that would make a difference. Why is the CFL questionable? Do you think an i would have better luck with an incandescent bulb?

Back
Top Bottom