Bloody stool

wallace707

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2015
Hi! I'm new to chickens, we just got 6 from someone a couple days ago. They are 3 and 5 week old silkies. Started feeding them the starter grow food. All poops looked normal to me then the next day some were bloody.... Not sure if they are ALL like that but I'm not seeing many normal looking ones now. Lady I got them from said she kept two from same pen and they are fine. Also thought I heard what sounded like a sneeze a few times. They are staying in a cattle trough in our enclosed garage. There are two ceiling fans in there as well, wasn't sure if that would bother them being on too. I assume I need to get a dewormed? Thanks for any help!

I went to tractor supply and the only corid they had was for vows and WAY more than I would need. No dosing for chickens. I did get some electrolyte powder and probiotic....and no other feed stores close by

I'm aware of that, its not for sure they have coccidia unless the stool is tested correct? I just got the others in the mean time BC I wasn't sure about dosing on the corid.and how do I know how much of the corid to give the babies?

Last edited:
That's the dose I was giving them.
It's a good idea to treat them regardless, I did and the death rate went to 0. I now feed my chicks a medicated scratch,Premium poultry feed by Purina, seems to work as no more intestinal issues have occurred.
If I was doing this to sell eggs I would have to charge $45-50 a dozen to recoup the money we have spent!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sorry your birds have bloody poop. X2 You need to get the Corid in them. Cocci will kill them very fast. No time to wait or get poop tested. Chicks with bloody poop have cocci. So dose them with the Corid and hopefully you can save them all.

Good luck with your babies!

Back
Top Bottom