1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bloody stool

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by wallace707, Aug 10, 2015.

1. wallace707

wallace707 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2015
    Hi! I'm new to chickens, we just got 6 from someone a couple days ago. They are 3 and 5 week old silkies. Started feeding them the starter grow food. All poops looked normal to me then the next day some were bloody.... Not sure if they are ALL like that but I'm not seeing many normal looking ones now. Lady I got them from said she kept two from same pen and they are fine. Also thought I heard what sounded like a sneeze a few times. They are staying in a cattle trough in our enclosed garage. There are two ceiling fans in there as well, wasn't sure if that would bother them being on too. I assume I need to get a dewormed? Thanks for any help!

2. Harleychicks

Harleychicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2015
    Poplarville, Mississippi
    I'm just an amateur but coccida may be the problem. At Tractor Supply or similar store look for corid you put it the water. We lost 1/2 our flock to this. went from 29 to 15 in about 2 weeks. Good luck with your babies!

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. wallace707

Aug 10, 2015
    I went to tractor supply and the only corid they had was for vows and WAY more than I would need. No dosing for chickens. I did get some electrolyte powder and probiotic....and no other feed stores close by

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Corid is marketed for cattle. Corid will also treat chickens.

Electrolytes and probiotics will not treat coccidia. You wil have to buy the Corid to kill the cocci protozoa.

6. wallace707

Aug 10, 2015
    I'm aware of that, its not for sure they have coccidia unless the stool is tested correct? I just got the others in the mean time BC I wasn't sure about dosing on the corid.and how do I know how much of the corid to give the babies?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I hope you don't end up losing them.

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Corid dose - powder 1.5 teaspoons per gallon of water. Change the water daily. The treated Corid water should be the only source of drinking water. Treat for 5-7 days. Do not give vitamins while treating with Corid.

9. Harleychicks

Harleychicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2015
    Poplarville, Mississippi
    That's the dose I was giving them.
    It's a good idea to treat them regardless, I did and the death rate went to 0. I now feed my chicks a medicated scratch,Premium poultry feed by Purina, seems to work as no more intestinal issues have occurred.
    If I was doing this to sell eggs I would have to charge $45-50 a dozen to recoup the money we have spent!

10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sorry your birds have bloody poop. X2 You need to get the Corid in them. Cocci will kill them very fast. No time to wait or get poop tested. Chicks with bloody poop have cocci. So dose them with the Corid and hopefully you can save them all.

Good luck with your babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by