Bloody stool

Valery_Etienne

In the Brooder
May 21, 2023
went to give my rooster some meal worms and watermelon this afternoon and he didn’t get up right away to chow down as he usually does. So I reached in to check on him and when he stood up I noticed some bloody stool. He is in a coop alone and has been since I got him because he is a rescue from fighting. He has recovered from all his injuries and has been fine and healthy for a few weeks now. I checked his vent and don’t see any blood. Picture attached. Is this normal intestinal lining shedding? Should I be concerned? Thank you in advance’

Attachments

• IMG_1720.jpeg
    IMG_1720.jpeg
    922.6 KB · Views: 417
That is quite a lot to take in. Will I get any of this medicine I time to treat him? I live in Hawaii. Should I just bring him to an avian vet? I don’t know if I can afford it if it’s this serious but I’m not sure ordering that medicine will get it to me in time. Thanks for all of the info.
You may have trouble getting the SMZ TMP, which is Bactrim or Sulfatrim, quickly. It probably needs to come from a vet right away, or you can order it online which would take days. I would probably keep on with the Corid until you can source the SMZ TMP. I have never had a case of coccidiosis, but I have heard others speak of a soft full crop. That could be because the intestines are not working normally. Here are 2 places that sell the drug, one in powder for the water, and one in tablets:
https://birdpalproducts.com/products/trimethoprim-sulfa-powder

https://www.medi-vet.com/Bird-Sulfa-Sulfamethoxazole-Trimethoprim-480mg-p/19328.htm

Not sure of his age as he’s a recent rescue. This photo is a before and after of him from when I rescued him until now. He had it pretty rough before I got him. Rescued from fighting a few weeks ago.
My word. He looked terrible, but great now.

Id start with Corid asap.

2 teaspoons liquid Corid per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water. Do not add any vitamins/supplements or electrolytes to the water during the treatment period.

Forget the Corid. Get him started on SMZ-TMP, 1/2 tablet orally twice a day for no more than 7 days. Give him plain boiled white rice mixed in his feed to eat for several days. Do not give him anything else to eat other than his feed mixed with the plain boiled white rice. Make sure the cooked rice has cooled before giving it to him to eat. SMZ-TMP treats two of the nine types of coccidia that causes blood in the feces, also ecoli infections and other gut infections.
Then on the tenth day, worm him with Valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer 500ml bottle, 3/4ml given orally using a syringe without a needle. Then redose him in 10 days. Worms can also cause bloody feces other than coccidiosis. You can use the Valbazen with your other rescue birds as well.
Here's a link where you can buy the SMZ-TMP and Valbazen:
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=91F10ACA-FB33-44F4-9A6C-40FCD628F49B
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30E07949-7B6A-11D5-A192-00B0D0204AE5

How old is he?
You might want to get some corid.
Not sure of his age as he’s a recent rescue. This photo is a before and after of him from when I rescued him until now. He had it pretty rough before I got him. Rescued from fighting a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• IMG_1438.jpeg
    IMG_1438.jpeg
    904.4 KB · Views: 26
Sorry to bother. Just started his corid treatment. I am suspecting I will need to do the drench because he isn’t drinking much and I noticed the water he did drink came back out of his mouth when I picked him up. I sanitized his enclosure and had a question about that. I was told I would need to sanitize it daily until he is well again. Today I used bleach water and scrubbed everything. Do I do that every day? And do I need to be concerned about the water coming back out of his mouth? Could this be anything else besides cocci? Photos of his enclosure included.

Note: this is his permanent enclosure as he is a rescue and cannot be integrated into the flock. He was rescued from fighting. Also, none of my flock are free range and all live in coops because fighting is a problem where I live and free range Roos and hens get lured in and stolen. All of my flock are rescues.
@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @azygous

Would any of you fine folks be able to help here?

That is quite a lot to take in. Will I get any of this medicine I time to treat him? I live in Hawaii. Should I just bring him to an avian vet? I don’t know if I can afford it if it’s this serious but I’m not sure ordering that medicine will get it to me in time. Thanks for all of the info.

Back
Top Bottom