BLRW- which rooster is nicest so far?

Megs

Songster
10 Years
Aug 19, 2009
these are my oldest 5 blrw cockerals (i have about a dozen other younger ones), i posted two photos of the first guy, i really like him so far, he is the largest of the 5, but am new to BLRW so would love opinions
smile.png
These guys are 6 months exactly, except the last one who is about 5 months (perhaps a bit less). I will be keeping two roosters, and my grandmother will be getting 1-2 roosters (if anything happened to mine i would be able to get them back from her, so will be keeping the best 3-4 total), though i could pick from the younger ones as well, they are to young to know much about their conformation right now tho, i will grow out the nicest of of them through the winter for breeder stock selection in the spring.

I just have the two McMurray birds, then two other beautiful lines from breeders whose stock originates from Frank Griffiths strain, Lowell Barber's strain and Foleys strain.

These first 4 cockerals are from a cross of Frank Griffith strain, Lowell Barber's strain and Foleys strain.
13.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

#4, the younger cockeral
3.jpg

This cockeral is from McMurray
5.jpg

and might as well add photos of my two oldest blrw females, both splash color, would love opinions on them as well. thought i also have at least 15 other younger blrw pullets im growing out to choose from in the spring as well.

This is a McMurray pullet
7.jpg

This is a pullet from a cross of Frank Griffith strain, Lowell Barber's strain and Foleys strain.
6.jpg

I like #1 & #4 the best...there is something I really don't like about #3, but I can't quite put my finger on it...and that's odd for me, because I am a sucker for a splash bird. Those girls are really nice, you can really see the difference between the McMurray girl and the breeder bird, but I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality of the McMurray bird! Very nice all around!

thx for the replies, 1 & 4 are my favs from this group as well
smile.png
I got the McMurray birds hoping for pullets, i had planned on using one of the nicer breeder quality birds as the roosters for this project, but figured i might as well post all of them so you could see the difference. I am pleasantly surprised at the pullet, a little to light/gold colored perhaps? but nice lacing and so far conformation isnt bad, though she has lots of maturing to do yet.

should also have some nice cockerals and pullets to choose from in the next age group, really excited to see how the pullets mature!

I say #1 and #4 also #2 is a golden laced or Black laced as they call them.
Not to be mean or anything. I'm not crazy about the one pullets color. It does not have very good lacing. sorry
hide.gif

yes i realize #2 is of the "black" variety of BLRW, i cant find the blrw site i have looked on, but if memory serves they are good to breed to the "splash" variety to get nice blues. He is smaller than the other roos, and something about him im just not crazy about.

#1 is by far my favorite of this group

i know the McMurray pullet isnt anything special, but for a hatchery bird (esp a "project color" hatchery bird) i was pleasantly surprised with her, i have seen hatchery wyandottes with MUCH worse lacing! i still have about 15 or so other pullets to choose from, so its entirely possible i will have many nicer ones and not keep her (in which case she would go to my grandmothers layer flock, not be sold)

ETA: i really appreciate the replies! as i said this is my first time with wyandottes and i want to help the project in canada, we dont have many breeders of them yet, though with the few breeders who sold eggs this season we will have a good start on them next year!

Last edited:
The only one I'd even consider keeping and using would be number one and there are several things I don't really like about him. He's young tho so some of those things could maybe improve over the next several months.

#2 is a very bad choice. It's has 'duck-foot'.

ETA: #1 is your best bird.. but it has white legs, a black beak, and it's a bit brassy in the coloring. You'll need to clean that up eventually.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom