Blue Ameraucana thread!

Pics
:hit So I am super sad today!!! My beloved girl Kunigunde, is actually Manfred. I have 6 "girls" that are 6 month old and my friendliest one was Kunigunde!! She (now he) would eat from my hand and be the 1st to greet me each day!!! Well about a month ago, she started developing hackles and her comb was going REALLY red and the tail was starting to roo out, but since she didn't crow, I was determined that denial was my best way of coping :D. I live in a village and we arent allowed Roos unless we have 6 acres. I only have 2. And so not to upset my next door neighbours who don't like Roos, we are giving him to the house a few doors down who have 6 acres. Manfred is the sweetest roo!!! He eats out of my hand and is the biggest scardy-cat as well hahaha :lol: This morning was the morning he did his first crow. It was so cute and pretty quiet as well, it makes it even more painful to do this. I'm just so glad he is going to a home 3 doors down so I can still hear him crow ;). I will take some photos of him before he goes.

I'm really feeling down :(
I feel your pain...you can keep him long enough to breed to a couple of your hens? if your on 2 acres thats sad u cant keep your boy! Especially since he's such a sweetheart! I'm sorry..but at least you have some beautiful girls right!?

Ya know what, I really want to keep him long enough to breed with some of my girls!! But my girls arent laying yet.... I dont reckon they will lay till Spring now since we are at the darkest time of year. They too, are 6 month old. Even though I am only allowed 6 hens, I know that many more in the village keep a lot more than 6, and no one complains. My neighbours will be fine with that as well. Its soooooooooo frustrating that I live in the country, in a village of about 1000 people and have 2 acres, and Im still not allowed to keep this Roo!! If I had made the run down at the bottom of the 2 acres (we share a common border with the farm a few doors down) then i would be able to keep him, because nobody would be able to tell the difference between his crowing, and the farms 2 guys crowing
tongue.png
But that part of the property isnt ready yet to be developed for chickens, its still too "wild". I have lots of predators in my neck of the woods so it would need to be made bomb-proof. At least he'll be at the farm a few doors down. I just hope I dont cry when handing him over lol!!!!!!! My girls are lovely. Will be interesting to see who takes the lead with him gone. I used to think he was just a bossy hen to begin with!!! And a pig, since he would never let anyone else near me with the food
lol.png

Ya know what, I really want to keep him long enough to breed with some of my girls!! But my girls arent laying yet.... I dont reckon they will lay till Spring now since we are at the darkest time of year. They too, are 6 month old. Even though I am only allowed 6 hens, I know that many more in the village keep a lot more than 6, and no one complains. My neighbours will be fine with that as well. Its soooooooooo frustrating that I live in the country, in a village of about 1000 people and have 2 acres, and Im still not allowed to keep this Roo!! If I had made the run down at the bottom of the 2 acres (we share a common border with the farm a few doors down) then i would be able to keep him, because nobody would be able to tell the difference between his crowing, and the farms 2 guys crowing :p   But that part of the property isnt ready yet to be developed for chickens, its still too "wild". I have lots of predators in my neck of the woods so it would need to be made bomb-proof.  At least he'll be at the farm a few doors down. I just hope I dont cry when handing him over lol!!!!!!!  My girls are lovely. Will be interesting to see who takes the lead with him gone. I used to think he was just a bossy hen to begin with!!! And a pig, since he would never let anyone else near me with the food :lol:
That's crazy! I understand about predators! That's too bad cause it does take some effort to bond with them. I spent months taming mine down. But thank goodness I can reach down and pick up every one of my 14 hens!! I love them so much!

Twisted Greta, why don't u put a no crow collar on him? I have one on mine and it works really good on him. I don't understand why you can't have roosters if you're living in the country!

I recently started my first flock of chickens, I've been raising them since their first day and I can't wait to add more (as a late Christmas present I plan on getting a coronation Sussex, lavender orphington, a splash maran, and a large fowl cuckoo Orpington as pullets (since last time I started off with chicks and have probably 2-4 boys out of my seven.
BUT here are my two Amerecaunas! I think they are cockerel and pullet, the smaller one for sure but not 100% on the bigger one since I've seen some pullets with some red combs like his.. Loved to hear your opinion (This photos are about 3 weeks dated so I'll take some more tomorrow morning :) )

Truthfully the bigger one, Artemis, is very easily frightened since he was chased around the yard twice by my little wiener dog (She thinks the chickens are dogs and gets over excited wanting to play with them) but it traumatized the poor baby so he won't let me touch him without a fuss now. The smaller one, Dutchess is just a sweetie pie and she loves Artemis to death and refuses to. E separated from him without making a huge cry of distress.

Hi!! Guess what? I did just that
smile.png
. I went online and researched it when the woman taking him, who lives 3 houses down from me, mentioned about hearing something about how to make roosters not crow. She had no idea what it was but said she came across some roos that didnt really crow much at some shows she had done. So before handing him over I went online and read all about it! I watched videos etc.. So i made him a 2" wide velcro collar (which is all fuzzy and felty on the inside) and he was SUCH a good boy for allowing me to put it on. I put it on pretty tight, but I reckon not quite tight enough. He hardly crows. Only about 1-5 times in the morning when my husband lets him out, and with the collar on, he does half a crow lol!! Im in the bedroom facing the coop when he does it (in bed) so Im not sure if the "doodle-doo" part is squelched, or he just is doing the first half of the crow only. He used to doodle doo. His crow is the volume of a hen when she is laying an egg pretty much. So not really loud. Again, he's new at crowing, so I dont know if he is quiet because he's new, or he is just a quiet boy. He never crows except when my husband turns the truck on to go to work at about 7.00am and lets them out in the run. Otherwise he is quiet all day. I work from home so would hear him. I THINK the collar is working but needs to be tighter. He is only just 7 months though, so I am going to have a word with my neighbours and see if its bothering them at this moment since he's no louder than a squawking hen and just does a few shouts at 7am. I am hoping he will fill out and grow into the collar if that makes sense. Its not LOOSE but obviously not tight enough to squelch him quieter...

I have some homemade cookies to give my neighbours when I have the chat lol
lol.png
I tell ya, people's DOGS are louder than my boy! 2 doors down from me they have hound dogs that howl louder than Manfred does!! Also, I told my husband to stop letting them out at 7am since the truck seems to set him off. I get up at 8am and let them out. Since we started this arrangement he has only crowed one time. (been doing this for about 1 week now)

Anyone know if a 7 month old Ameraucana will still fill out in the neck area so the collar will go a but tighter? Im happy to catch him and re-tighten if need be but would rather not stress him out if possible and if my neighbours are ok with waiting a little bit.

Yes I definitely live in the country, but about 5 minute walk down the road to the village border, so just within the limits of the village. Outside the village, I can have them, but in the village I cant unless I have 6 acres. I would have thought 2 acres would be plenty enough
he.gif

Thanks for the idea though!!!! Glad to hear it works for your guy! Fingers crossed!

Hi!!  Guess what? I did just that :) .  I went online and researched it when the woman taking him, who lives 3 houses down from me, mentioned about hearing something about how to make roosters not crow.  She had no idea what it was but said she came across some roos that didnt really crow much at some shows she had done. So before handing him over I went online and read all about it! I watched videos etc..  So i made him a 2" wide velcro collar (which is all fuzzy and felty on the inside) and he was SUCH a good boy for allowing me to put it on. I put it on pretty tight, but I reckon not quite tight enough. He hardly crows. Only about 1-5 times in the morning when my husband lets him out, and with the collar on, he does half a crow lol!! Im in the bedroom facing the coop when he does it (in bed) so Im not sure if the "doodle-doo" part is squelched, or he just is doing the first half of the crow only.  He used to doodle doo. His crow is the volume of a hen when she is laying an egg pretty much. So not really loud. Again, he's new at crowing, so I dont know if he is quiet because he's new, or he is just a quiet boy.  He never crows except when my husband turns the truck on to go to work at about 7.00am and lets them out in the run. Otherwise he is quiet all day. I work from home so would hear him. I THINK the collar is working but needs to be tighter. He is only just 7 months though, so I am going to have a word with my neighbours and see if its bothering them at this moment since he's no louder than a squawking hen and just does a few shouts at 7am. I am hoping he will fill out and grow into the collar if that makes sense. Its not LOOSE but obviously not tight enough to squelch him quieter...

I have some homemade cookies to give my neighbours when I have the chat lol :lol:   I tell ya, people's DOGS are louder than my boy!  2 doors down from me they have hound dogs that howl louder than Manfred does!!  Also, I told my husband to stop letting them out at 7am since the truck seems to set him off. I get up at 8am and let them out. Since we started this arrangement he has only crowed one time. (been doing this for about 1 week now)

Anyone know if a 7 month old Ameraucana will still fill out in the neck area so the collar will go a but tighter?  Im happy to catch him and re-tighten if need be but would rather not stress him out if possible and if my neighbours are ok with waiting a little bit.

Yes I definitely live in the country, but about 5 minute walk down the road to the village border, so just within the limits of the village. Outside the village, I can have them, but in the village I cant unless I have 6 acres.  I would have thought 2 acres would be plenty enough :he

Thanks for the idea though!!!! Glad to hear it works for your guy! Fingers crossed!

Glad to hear it's working! Im going to be getting my boy a no crow rooster collar ordered from Amazon, and a lot of reviews say they do in fact do their job but that some people have lost their roosters because it was too tight on them, and it's recommended that you should be able to easily slip in your two pinky fingers to give him enough room so it's not too tight. Some people have also mentioned that their collars will sometimes come loose or be taken off completely and that you should tweak with it every now and then and check. :)

Interested in trading some chicks from lavender, black, silver for some blue in the spring. I live in del norte ca.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom