Blue Andalusian Chickens 5 weeks old

KWray

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2018
Hi I have 2 beautiful blue
Andalusian Chickens 5 weeks today I've had them from day olds one the largest was a white/ light grey chic and other was black, their colours are very similar now with all their new feathers the white one has a darker head with the new feathers. (Scruff kids named) the larger chic has grown and feathered faster and is larger then the other (Molly) they are always together Scruff always follows Molly they always sleep together Molly nestled slightly under Scruff and they get very upset when apart they both have large combs Scruff always walks a bit hunched tense (like a hawk) and puffs chest he's got a little longer tail and tail is always IMG_1296.JPG IMG_1298.JPG dropping down Molly walks more relaxed looking and tail always up is there a tail thing for male/female in this breed as the rest of them look about the same but one more developed then the other (kids said Molly looks prettier) could I have a pair or do you think I have 2 Roos I will post some photos IMG_1299.JPG IMG_1305.JPG IMG_1310.JPG

Thanks do you know if there is anything about one tail up and other down for this breed??

Chickens are now 8 weeks old so will post some more photos
IMG_1377.JPG IMG_1379.JPG IMG_1380.JPG IMG_1421.JPG IMG_1422.JPG IMG_1433.JPG IMG_1435.JPG
The darker chicken has a crocked tail is that just because of new feathers coming in or something else

Chickens are now 8 weeks old so will post some more photos
View attachment 1325236 View attachment 1325237 View attachment 1325242 View attachment 1325275 View attachment 1325278 View attachment 1325279 View attachment 1325283
The darker chicken has a crocked tail is that just because of new feathers coming in or something else
The darker one looks like a cockerel. I got a black Andalusian from my blue order which is quite disappointing since my flock is already pretty black and I wanted blue. Why can't Meyer's breed all blue like they do for some of their other breeds? Oh well, I will find her another home.

Need a standing side shot of the lighter bird, like the first pic in post #5 to see gender better.

Is that the same one that had it's tail down in the beginning? The crooked tail is known as wry tail and would not be a desirable trait to breed forward.

Saddle feathers aren't in yet, so those can't be used as a clue. But his fat legs and the size and color of combs and waddles are a good indicator. Were they ordered as straight run? :pop

The darker one looks like a cockerel. I got a black Andalusian from my blue order which is quite disappointing since my flock is already pretty black and I wanted blue. Why can't Meyer's breed all blue like they do for some of their other breeds? Oh well, I will find her another home.

Need a standing side shot of the lighter bird, like the first pic in post #5 to see gender better.

Is that the same one that had it's tail down in the beginning? The crooked tail is known as wry tail and would not be a desirable trait to breed forward.

Saddle feathers aren't in yet, so those can't be used as a clue. But his fat legs and the size and color of combs and waddles are a good indicator. Were they ordered as straight run? :pop

Thanks will get another photo in morning the crocked tail is the smaller with tail more up in first photos a little slower to feather and almost same size now there both got similar combs and waddles they still get along very well if I'm holding one on my lap they call for each other and the other will jump up and snuggle together and the smaller darker one always has to sleep almost under the other one sitting on top if they are two Roos will they alway stay close or will they end up fighting? And if so at what age? We got as day old chick and were meant to be both hens

Thanks will get some more photos in the morning
Yes the lighter had tail down and the darker crocked tail had tail up in earlier photos
They both have similar comb and waddles and are both a similar size now with the darker a bit slower with feathers.
They are still very close always together if I pop one on my lap they call for each other and the other will jump up to snuggle next to friend also the darker one alway has to sleep under the lighter chook almost sitting on top they cluck and make a fuss and digs head under the other chook until their comfortable then go to sleep
If they are two Roos will they continue to get along or will they start fighting and if so at what age?

Back
Top Bottom