Blue Cochin 20wk old boy or girl??

Here is another on of my roosters. A Barred Cochin Bantam. He is about 22 weeks old in this picture.

He is a cutie. Love to watch him run. He has been crowing since he was about 5 weeks old.

My vote is still roo. Is this fellow a Large Fowl or Bantam? When I click on the view, post 28 top picture, of his side and it enlarges I do believe that the dark feathers from his back around the wing end in a point down by his legs. Does anyone else see that? All my girls have very pronounced short rounded feathers in that area. Still a very handsome bird.

Last edited:
beautiful birds, thank you so much. I cant believe how well developed your roo is at 20 weeks did that all suddenly appear within a few weeks or were you fairly sure for a long time? I notice he is growing rougher spikier, neck feathers, there is no crowing but a lot of henny chatting sounds, he/she has a very deep noise but then so does my sussex.

beautiful birds, thank you so much. I cant believe how well developed your roo is at 20 weeks did that all suddenly appear within a few weeks or were you fairly sure for a long time? I notice he is growing rougher spikier, neck feathers, there is no crowing but a lot of henny chatting sounds, he/she has a very deep noise but then so does my sussex.

All 3 birds are the same age and both of the roos made themselves known by 7 weeks. I had several roos and all were crowing. In this picture, all the birds outside of the dust bath are just over 12 weeks old. They look about the same, just alot smaller. And the silly things in the dust bath are 8 7-week old guinea keets. Just wait alittle longer, he will crow or she will lay an egg anytime now. I am thinking egg!

I think it's a she. Granted I've only had one Cochin ever, but he crowed at about 8 weeks and had a nice big red comb and wattles very early, way bigger than yours does at this age. I've heard Cochins mature slowly but maybe that's not as much the case if it is only hatchery quality (as mine was).

Still waiting to hear if he is LF or a bantam. LF mature much slower. I will try to get a picture of some of young pullets and cockerels to compare. I only see pictures of bantams to compare to so far.

Back
Top Bottom