Blue Laced Red Wyandotte Gender

heidiAnnP

In the Brooder
Sep 18, 2020
Hi!

I have a beautiful Wyandotte but am unsure of the gender, I was pretty sure it was a hen as the previous Rooster I had tried to mate with her a few times. However, once I sold my Rooster this one started to crow regularly and is now acting more like a rooster then a hen, Lucy is 18 weeks old. I did not think much about her crowing as I have seen hens take on Rooster qualities when a Rooster is removed from the flock. I have not observed any outright mating behavior with him/her but I am unsure when Wyandottes start doing this. Any ideas?

Attach files
20200918_183223.JPG
20200918_183337.JPG
20200918_183448.JPG
20200918_183505.JPG

He/She started to become more aggressive the last week, started biting/pecking me when she/he did not do that before (my old Roo did this as well). Strange that if it is a Rooster why it is not trying to mate with any of the 10 hens he has in his flock! My other Rooster was insatiable, he would not leave the hens alone and I had to relocate him (he was also extremely noisy!). Does anyone have this breed and if so when did the Roo start showing dominant behavior over the hens?

Shoot, I was really hoping for a hen! He is sadly too noisy for my neighborhood and I will have to re-home him.

Shoot, I was really hoping for a hen! He is sadly too noisy for my neighborhood and I will have to re-home him.
Oh no! It's a pity, he is beautiful. You could try posting on they Animals in Need of Rehoming forum here on BYC, or also your state thread to find people near you that might be able to take them.

Back
Top Bottom