Blue + Splash = Black chick?

Zemeraire

Songster
Jan 17, 2020
South West Australia
119819745_3310441625719055_8632733818759841189_n.jpg

Sorry its not the greatest pic, but this Silkie X Frizzle (pekin/cochin mix) chick hatched last night. Mum is blue, dad is splash. Is it a dark blue or somehow against everything I know about the blue gene, is it black?

Here is the dad
20200904_143826.jpg

And here is the mum
118983452_950926172076645_3312396387109905461_n.jpg

Any help would be appreciated!
All the other chicks look like blues (from different mothers who are not blue/splash) so I am very confused lol.

He could be paint I guess, but the other chicks look blue?

This one's mother is a columbian Faverolles
View attachment 2336830
This one's is a black mix breed
View attachment 2336832
This one's is a Lavender Aracana.
View attachment 2336833

I think he's paint. A black from a splash and a blue isn't possible, so that's ruling Splash out as a possibility.

The top one and bottom one might be white. They're very very light to be blue, and the best they could be is blue, not splash, if Dad was splash. And White would make sense as their color if Dad was Paint and the moms were the colors you said.

Middle one, being from a mixed breed, who knows what other color genetics are in there. Not sure if that will really be blue or not. If Dad's paint and mom's Black, then it won't be.

But my specialty in color genetics is ducks, not chickens, so I'll tag a couple people who know the genetics better than I do. Maybe they can confirm, or give another possible explanation.

@The Moonshiner
@nicalandia

Last edited:
I think he's paint. A black from a splash and a blue isn't possible, so that's ruling Splash out as a possibility.

The top one and bottom one might be white. They're very very light to be blue, and the best they could be is blue, not splash, if Dad was splash. And White would make sense as their color if Dad was Paint and the moms were the colors you said.

Middle one, being from a mixed breed, who knows what other color genetics are in there. Not sure if that will really be blue or not. If Dad's paint and mom's Black, then it won't be.

But my specialty in color genetics is ducks, not chickens, so I'll tag a couple people who know the genetics better than I do. Maybe they can confirm, or give another possible explanation.

@The Moonshiner
@nicalandia
You don't need me, you got this girl.

Thanks everyone ^-^
Its a bit disappointing he is not splash, I was looking forward to blue babies lol.
But I am very glad to know what is going on genetics wise with the chicks now.

Paint would also explain the yellow patched on their feet too right? Dad doesn't have that.
Would the pale chicks be paints?

Mix breed mama was sold to me as a Marans chick, then seller changed to Maran's X when I noticed the rose comb. (I was and am still pretty peeved off about this)
I asked the old chicken guys at the poultry auction I went to last week (picked up a silver laced Wyandotte and a Gold Spangled Hamburg!) what they thought, and they all thought she had at least Orpington and Gold Laced Wyandotte in her, and any Marans in there was suspect. Also she lays creamy light brown/pinky eggs.
She was a black chick, so I don't know where that patterning came from on her baby. I kept track of who came from what egg so I know it was from her.
20200904_143637.jpg

Back
Top Bottom