Blue Swedish Ducks-Genetics

Table4Six

Crossing the Road
10 Years
May 22, 2012
I have a blue Swedish hen who will be two years old this March. I know blue Swedes tend to have less uniform bibs than the black variety, however, my hen is basically splash. It’s now got me wondering about the facts of blue Swede genetics. Here are pics of the transformation, and what she looked like as a duckling.
21531E5B-9772-41D7-8352-793657166A9E.jpeg
C09EE71F-9A05-4754-89F2-50E5FBBACE2C.jpeg
04A1BD26-E9F6-4CDC-A519-88BD0DC4A28A.jpeg
549173F1-0264-4A7D-9F5C-D909B295FA0F.jpeg
311C458A-3AE9-490D-BF66-FDCB3BABA535.jpeg

I guess I’m just wondering, is this common and a side affect of blue on blue?
@casportpony @Pyxis @Miss Lydia

Last edited:
From what I understand is that the bib gene is the bib gene and it gets passed along, however how messy or neat a bib is can vary, which is why it's difficult to breed for the perfect bib that show birds require. So a duck with a messy bib could have offspring with neat bibs and vice versa.

I also believe that after every molt a bird will have more white feathers, and this happens in a few different colors/patterns of chickens and ducks both (though I'm not sure on what other breeds this includes). I have never seen a transformation as complete as yours, but I do have Blue Swedish that are a few years old that have quite a bit of white at this point.

From what I understand is that the bib gene is the bib gene and it gets passed along, however how messy or neat a bib is can vary, which is why it's difficult to breed for the perfect bib that show birds require. So a duck with a messy bib could have offspring with neat bibs and vice versa.

I also believe that after every molt a bird will have more white feathers, and this happens in a few different colors/patterns of chickens and ducks both (though I'm not sure on what other breeds this includes). I have never seen a transformation as complete as yours, but I do have Blue Swedish that are a few years old that have quite a bit of white at this point.
Thank you for chiming in. I too have never seen such a complete change in such a short amount of time.

This is my girl Helga, who has the most white on her of any of my Blue Swedish. You can see she's got quite a bit. She's about 3 years old in this picture.

View attachment 1640458
Your girl is beautiful. I appreciate you taking the time to add a pic for comparison :D crazy too that your hen is three in that pic and isn’t showing too much white, yet my hen isn’t even two, and has a majority of white feathers.

Back
Top Bottom