It also helps if you say the same things to them, chickens like to know what to expect. I call all my chickens babies. I also say a calming wheeeeEE? vibrating the e sound. That is what I hear them say to each other at night on the roost.
Oh good! I think I am already doing this a little just by chance. I usually say "hey chicks!" when approaching them or walking outside, and I whistle when I am giving them a treat. I will try to reinforce this even more and try to be more consistent.

Thanks!!

I call them, higher pitched voice, "chickchickchick..."
Yes, me too! They really seem to love that because they think it means a special treat.

Might as well give an update here:

The hens are doing better! They come up to me a lot more, possibly because they just see me as the lady with the treats, but I'll take it! My RIR isn't any less skittish, but the others are coming around.

I put a chair in the run and sit with the old ladies. Though some ignore me, I will entice them with the world's best treats. I have to remind myself they are not domesticated like the dog or cat-they weren't bred to be sociable with humans-they were bred to make a lot of eggs. I don't get insulted when they don't bond with me but I do enjoy watching them interact with each other.

I put a chair in the run and sit with the old ladies. Though some ignore me, I will entice them with the world's best treats. I have to remind myself they are not domesticated like the dog or cat-they weren't bred to be sociable with humans-they were bred to make a lot of eggs. I don't get insulted when they don't bond with me but I do enjoy watching them interact with each other.
Great way to put it! That's the attitude I'm gonna try to have as well. I really do enjoy watching them. Any interaction is just a bonus!

Back
Top Bottom