Bone Broth Recipes

Put whatever bone, skin, connective tissue plus any meat on them into a slow cooker with aromatic veggies, a bit of salt, some peppercorns and whatever herbs. Add cold water and a splash of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. Set the slow cooker on its lowest setting and let it go up to 72 hours, checking to make sure to supplement any water that evaporates away.

You'll get a bone broth that will be so full of collagen that it will want to go gelatinous at room temperature.

While its simmering away, at any point, you can stick a strainer into the broth and spoon or ladle out a sample so you can correct any flavors.

When it's done I strain it and pour it directly into quart jars. They go in the fridge. By the time they've cooled you can lift off the solidified fat. Add whatever part you want back to your broth to serve or cook with. Save the rest for flavoring rice or veggies or, basically, anything else and for sautéing. It's pretty yummy itself.

Last edited:
Put whatever bone, skin, connective tissue plus any meat on them into a slow cooker with aromatic veggies, a bit of salt, some peppercorns and whatever herbs. Add cold water and a splash of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. Set the slow cooker on its lowest setting and let it go up to 72 hours, checking to make sure to supplement any water that evaporates away.

You'll get a bone broth that will be so full of collagen that it will want to go gelatinous at room temperature.

While its simmering away, at any point, you can stick a strainer into the broth and spoon or ladle out a sample so you can correct any flavors.
Thank you! If I want to make more can I put it in the oven in a huge pot at a low temp?

whats your favorite way to do bone broth?

I’ve got 50+ chicken backs in my freezer....

:drool

Please share!
I like to use a pressure cooker, especially for just parts like wings and necks w/backs. It is a lot faster, I never did 50 at once, though! Just put about 1/2 full in your pressure cooker, cover with water and add a little salt to taste. Pressure cook for 20-30 min, depending on how old the chickens were. Let cool, and strain as the previous person described. I put it in jars, and can it in the pressure cooker, of course!

I use a pressure cooker too, but for more like 3 hours.
1 hour for the meat and a couple more hours to get every bit out of the bones.
Use what ever seasoning strikes your palate.

I cannot stand to smell it cooking for as many hours as low and slow takes. UHG!
Pressure cooker is much faster and uses less energy, if you're into that.

I wish I had bought a much larger pressure cooker,
for more broth capacity and to be able to can quarts in it.

I use a pressure cooker too, but for more like 3 hours.
1 hour for the meat and a couple more hours to get every bit out of the bones.
Use what ever seasoning strikes your palate.

I cannot stand to smell it cooking for as many hours as low and slow takes. UHG!
Pressure cooker is much faster and uses less energy, if you're into that.

I wish I had bought a much larger pressure cooker,
for more broth capacity and to be able to can quarts in it.
I like to take the meat off the bones and do the bones again, too, sometimes. Often I use the bones from a roasted turkey or large chicken to begin with. I do not get as strong or concentrated broth as you might get with such long cooking, but we like it for soups with noodles. With 50 chickens worth of parts, you could certainly use a large canning size pressure cooker! Since we moved to Prescott, I use my pressure cookers even more. Mile-high cooking time is unaffected if you use a pressure cooker, sometimes I use 2 smaller cookers at the same meal, one for the meat and the other for the potatoes and veggies, which is a great place to make use of the broth from the previous meal. Since it is only the 2 of us now, I like pint jars more and more.

Back
Top Bottom