Bone (?) growing out of her wattles?

Great news—found a vet that works on chickens. Taking her in tomorrow morning. Cleaned her really well today. The cleaning is getting easier the more I do it as things aren’t crusted onto it anymore. Applied antibiotic cream and she still seems to be behaving fairly normally. Tried to coax her into wet food, though it’s pretty hard for her. I’m so hopeful that the vet can help.
The vet can definitely do more then any of us (as we're just over the internet obviously 😅) so that's great news! The vet will likely flush and debride it, and stitch the wound (if it isn't still infected). And probably give you antibiotics+painkillers, and that will make her feel loads better! 👍

The vet can definitely do more then any of us (as we're just over the internet obviously 😅) so that's great news! The vet will likely flush and debride it, and stitch the wound (if it isn't still infected). And probably give you antibiotics+painkillers, and that will make her feel loads better! 👍
Thank you! This whole thing started right when everyone closed for Christmas, so I appreciate all the efforts to help give my Shady Lady a fighting chance! And helping me realize it wasn’t a weird growth!

I just noticed today that my 5 month hen seems to have a bone or something growing out of her chin. When I pull it to the side it looks like raw flesh under it. There is sand stuck to one side. I don’t know what it is or what to do. Any thoughts on what this could be?

I had something similar when my chicken broke her leg, after it healed I noticed a "bone" growing out of her leg and it almost looked like she was turning into a cockerel, because I thought she was growing spurs. After a while it stopped growing and it looked like tree bark. It doesn't bother her at all so maybe you have a similar situation?

I just noticed today that my 5 month hen seems to have a bone or something growing out of her chin. When I pull it to the side it looks like raw flesh under it. There is sand stuck to one side. I don’t know what it is or what to do. Any thoughts on what this could be?
Great news! The vet put her tongue back and stitched her up! Give me antibiotics and pain meds. I have to keep her inside the house for 24 hours in her carrier because it’s 10° outside. Tomorrow afternoon she can transition back to the coop in a separate area so that she can recuperate without getting injured by the other chickens. She drank some water and ate a little food. She has lost a lot of weight and I’m hoping she can get some put back on soon. For those of you who are curious, total vet charges with meds came to $185.

Attachments

• 523CDFED-7CD3-495E-9F28-4863B1C4C478.jpeg
    523CDFED-7CD3-495E-9F28-4863B1C4C478.jpeg
    337.2 KB · Views: 22
I had something similar when my chicken broke her leg, after it healed I noticed a "bone" growing out of her leg and it almost looked like she was turning into a cockerel, because I thought she was growing spurs. After a while it stopped growing and it looked like tree bark. It doesn't bother her at all so maybe you have a similar situation?
This turned out to be her tongue! It had fallen through her jaw after some sort of Trumatic injury.

Great news! The vet put her tongue back and stitched her up! Give me antibiotics and pain meds. I have to keep her inside the house for 24 hours in her carrier because it’s 10° outside. Tomorrow afternoon she can transition back to the coop in a separate area so that she can recuperate without getting injured by the other chickens. She drank some water and ate a little food. She has lost a lot of weight and I’m hoping she can get some put back on soon. For those of you who are curious, total vet charges with meds came to $185.
Awesome news! I wish her a fast road to recovery. And wow, that's incredibly cheap considering the type of injury. Must be a great vet! 😁

Back
Top Bottom