Booted Bantam Thread

Please allow me to correct some of the grievous errors which have been made in some of the statements in this thread regarding this breed:

- The correct name of the breed as it is recognized in North America by the American Poultry Association and the American Bantam Association, in Great Britain by The Poultry Club, and in all English speaking countries is Booted Bantam, not Sabelpoot. Some imported breeds we have recognized by the name used in the country of origin, either correctly or bastardized. This we have not. Only in the Netherlands, the country of development after they were brought there from some Asian country, which one has been lost to history, are they called Sabelpoot.

- Booted Bantams have NOT been developed from d'Uccles, they are not "genetic throwbacks" from the parent breed of d'Uccles, it is the other way around. In the early 1900's Booteds were crossed with d'Anvers in Belgium to create the d'Uccles. The Booted was recognized by the American Poultry Association in 1879, and there are records that indicate that they had already been imported into the US prior to 1836. D'Uccles were not recognized until 1914. The Booted is a very old breed. They existed centuries before the d'Uccles, 90% of them have NOT been bred out of beardless d'Uccles.

- Mille Fleur is a variety not a breed. It occures in Booteds, d'Uccles, d'Anvers, OEG, Rosecombs and Leghorn bantams.

- Cayenne pepper does not work to keep hens laying in cold weather. Well, it does, along with proper photoperiod and a good layer pellet, but then so does eye of newt and toe of frog.

Funny the Poots I have come from a flock of third generation Duccles. Only in this generation have they appeared. Perhaps I was not clear, but well aware that poots are a founding breed of the Duccle. Just because you rename something does not change what it really is. By calling them Sable poots we are honoring the hardwork not the theft. We can all copy paste and google. Nevr have been a fan of PC.

Last edited:
As far as the cayenne pepper goes. It raises metabolism and in the cold of an Alaskan winter most certainly does get a cold hen motivated in egg production. Sometimes its so cold that even 14hours of light wont keep them laying. As far as a good layer pellet? Eh. I would rather feed them cayenne than corn and soy any day.

Last edited:
As far as the cauenne pepper goes. It raises metabolism and in the cold of an Alaskan winter most certainly does get a cold hen motivated in egg production. Sometimes its so cold that even 14hours of light wont keep them laying. As far as a good layer pellet? Eh. I would rather feed them cayenne than corn and soy any day.

Funny the Poots I have come from a flock of third generation Duccles. Only in this generation have they appeared. Perhaps I was not clear, but well aware that poots are a founding breed of the Duccle. Just because you rename something does not change what it really is. By calling them Sable poots we are honoring the hardwork not the theft. We can all copy paste and google. Nevr have been a fan of PC.
I guess if it's good enough to say once, it bears repeating. At least that was the Nazis philosophy. They believed that if you repeat something enough, eventually people will believe it. Whether it's true or not is immaterial.

Others have posted incorrect information too. You are not the only one, even if one of your statements happens to be correct.

My information does not come from google. It comes from the Standard of Perfection, the Bantam Standard, the Belgian d'Uccle and Booted Bantam club, and other scholarly references. No matter though where it really came from, because the information I post is correct and can be verified, unlike the misinformation that cannot, because it is false.

Non-bearded birds do occasionally occur in d'Uccle breeding. They can and have been used in Booted breeding programs, but they are not the source of 90% of Booted Bantams. My statements can be verified with references. Where are the references to support the claim that d'Uccles gave rise to 90% of Booted Bantams in this country? You can claim a bird to be of any breed that you like, but it doesn't make it so. Generations of breeding to the Standard do that, as well as verification from AP/BA licensed judges.

Referring to the breed as Sablepoots is pretentious and smarmy. It is not the correct term for the breed in the US, period. I guarantee if you enter them at any AP/BA sanctioned show, they will not be judged against the other Booted Bantams, as that term is not recognized by any licensed judge. They will be judged seperately, you will win BB Sablepoot being the only one there who has entered that breed, and will go no further, cheating yourself out of possible higher awards, assuming that the birds warrant it, simply to prove a point. They call that biting off your nose to smite your face.

Although similar, there are some differences in type between the two breeds. One is not simply a beardless version of the other. Read the Standards to learn more.

Okay guys. Just so no arguing occurs, I do realize some of the information may be wrong but that's why this thread was made. People can learn mor correct information about them.

I agree with Phoenix. There is a way to bring correct information to the discussion without talking down to someone. This isn't life or death. It's supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I will not even go into the terms smarmy and pretentious, you seem to have a serious problem and remind me of my mentally ill Aunt. Living in Alaska showing is not much of a concern. Genetics. The D'uccles that produced my birds have a recessive gene for beardless, upright and narrower build. Two of them have to have gotten together to make my beardless birds. As the Sablepoot is a founding breed of the Duccle. Rather than tossing them aside and screaming they do not meet breed standard for a D'uccle. I will call them by their ancestors name. Sable Poot. If their parents had been Booted Bantams I would call them such. But they are not. Now I could rant on about silly things as you have done but prefer to not come across as you have. Have a nice day. Renee.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom