Do you have a Border Collie?

• Total voters
This is Kiro. His mother was a rescue, a blue cattle dog and the dad is unknown. We think that he has some lab and border collie in him just by the way he looks. We guessed border collie because of the way he stalks our chickens, they are safe in the coop but he can’t help his instincts. He also might have husky in him because he has an extremely thick undercoat. If anyone has any ideas on what breeds he is, I would love to hear them!
Very pretty!

This is Kiro. His mother was a rescue, a blue cattle dog and the dad is unknown. We think that he has some lab and border collie in him just by the way he looks. We guessed border collie because of the way he stalks our chickens, they are safe in the coop but he can’t help his instincts. He also might have husky in him because he has an extremely thick undercoat. If anyone has any ideas on what breeds he is, I would love to hear them!
He is beautiful!!! :love not sure on breed but I think your description is probably spot on!!! Especially with that curly tail haha Or maybe even a bit of Chow or Great Pyrenees???

He is beautiful!!! :love not sure on breed but I think your description is probably spot on!!! Especially with that curly tail haha Or maybe even a bit of Chow or Great Pyrenees???
Thanks! We actually bought a Wisdom Panel DNA test for him recently. The results were so surprising that I decided that my guess was probably more accurate than the test.
It said 30% Great Pyrenees and a little bit of cattle dog, miniature American shepherd, white Swiss shepherd, husky etc. But that doesn’t explain how he has mostly black fur so I don’t think it’s very accurate. I believe the parts about cattle dog, husky and Pyrenees.

Thanks! We actually bought a Wisdom Panel DNA test for him recently. The results were so surprising that I decided that my guess was probably more accurate than the test.
It said 30% Great Pyrenees and a little bit of cattle dog, miniature American shepherd, white Swiss shepherd, husky etc. But that doesn’t explain how he has mostly black fur so I don’t think it’s very accurate. I believe the parts about cattle dog, husky and Pyrenees.
Oh wow yeah that is really weird!!! Haha I think those are probably the most accurate parts too!! Although I could maybe see a bit of Shepherd or something!! Maybe GSD though rather than white Swiss given those are a pretty rare breed and not likely to be in a rescue/mix hahah

I saw the Pyr right away that build/stance and head. :love

We used to have a Lab/Great Pyrenees mix and he looks a lot like him!!! Except ours was bigger and shorter cost and also mostly all black except for white on his chest. He didn’t have the white paws. But that head and his tail and stuff and I was like yuppp!! 😂🤣

Plus idk why but it seems like A LOT of rescues, especially down south, are Pyrenees mixes. They get around 😂🤣🙈

My brother has 3 and the neighbor has one and they all look and act totally different. Of course they’re very different breed mixes too besides the Pyr part but still.

Oh wow yeah that is really weird!!! Haha I think those are probably the most accurate parts too!! Although I could maybe see a bit of Shepherd or something!! Maybe GSD though rather than white Swiss given those are a pretty rare breed and not likely to be in a rescue/mix hahah

I saw the Pyr right away that build/stance and head. :love

We used to have a Lab/Great Pyrenees mix and he looks a lot like him!!! Except ours was bigger and shorter cost and also mostly all black except for white on his chest. He didn’t have the white paws. But that head and his tail and stuff and I was like yuppp!! 😂🤣

Plus idk why but it seems like A LOT of rescues, especially down south, are Pyrenees mixes. They get around 😂🤣🙈

My brother has 3 and the neighbor has one and they all look and act totally different. Of course they’re very different breed mixes too besides the Pyr part but still.
Agreed! He’s loves exercise and demands a hike every day. When I saw Pyrenees on the test I thought it made sense, he barks at every noise outside.

When our second dog Oliver was in a training class we met a puppy that looked almost EXACTLY like Kiro when he was a pup. It had thick black fur with the same white paws and chest, they said that it was also a rescue but they thought it had GSD, husky and lab in it.

So, maybe GSD too! I’ll never know for sure but it’s fun to try to figure it out.

Agreed! He’s loves exercise and demands a hike every day. When I saw Pyrenees on the test I thought it made sense, he barks at every noise outside.

When our second dog Oliver was in a training class we met a puppy that looked almost EXACTLY like Kiro when he was a pup. It had thick black fur with the same white paws and chest, they said that it was also a rescue but they thought it had GSD, husky and lab in it.

So, maybe GSD too! I’ll never know for sure but it’s fun to try to figure it out.
Awww he sounds amazing!!! And yes!! Gator barked so much!! Haha but he eventually learned to stop when we told him to... mostly 😂🤣

And oh wow that’s awesome!! I definitely see GSD/Husky/Lab!! He looks a lot like a Lab too and the GSD or Lab would also explain the black coat as well the thickness!! And then of course if you definitely know one parent is Cattle Dog then he probably has that in him too!! :)

I know exactly what kind of dog that is!!

That is your standard Big Black Dog. Not to be confused with the somewhat more common Small Black Dog, which is distinguished by it's smaller size and shorter coat.

Like the Large Brown Dog, the Big Black is a common breed and the source of many fine childhood memories. Although both breeds often look intimidating, particularly the Big Black, they are known for their friendly, mellow temperaments and the near-constant, steady, slow wag of the tail. Other distinguishing breed traits are a deep love of food, exercise, and a loyalty to their favorite people, along with an overall bonhomie to the world in general, with one notable exception (like squirrels or the mailman) which varied by individual.

Often, people try to define the Big Black Dog by similarity to other breeds, but the breed has been common since shortly after the beginning of dogs and should be appreciated as is. Their parents are invariably a gypsy and a wandering salesman, and they come from a long heritage of dogs who's mothers never married.

That is your standard Big Black Dog. Not to be confused with the somewhat more common Small Back Dog, which is distinguished by it's smaller size and shorter coat.

Like the Large Brown Dog, the Big Black is a common breed and the source of many fine childhood memories. Although both breeds often look intimidating, particularly the Big Black, they are known for their friendly, mellow temperaments and the near-constant, steady, slow wag of the tail. Other distinguishing breed traits are a deep love of food, exercise, and a loyalty to their favorite people, along with an overall bonhomie to the world in general, with one notable exception (like squirrels or the mailman) which varied by individual.

Often, people try to define the Big Black Dog by similarity to other breeds, but the breed has been common since shortly after the beginning of dogs and should be appreciated as is. Their parents are invariably a gypsy and a wandering salesman, and they come from a long heritage of dogs who's mothers never married.
:lau this is amazing!!! :love

That is your standard Big Black Dog. Not to be confused with the somewhat more common Small Back Dog, which is distinguished by it's smaller size and shorter coat.

🤣
I think you’re right!!

Back
Top Bottom