Border collie thread

Here is our Border Collie named Roscoe. Just got done cooling off in the creek after rounding up cattle.

35387_roscoe.jpg

I love Border collies they are my favorite breed of dog. Sadly I don't have one yet.

Here's my BC mix, "Rose."
DSC_0559.jpg

She acts like a full-blooded BC, even though there's Husky and GS. noahsgeese is right, obedient, friendly, VERY job-oriented. "Rose" bugs me to do my barn/animal chores. She guards, but doesn't attack the chickens, she herds the horses and runs with them, she patrols, but stays close, and she's caught/eaten 6 wild rabbits in her almost 3 years of life.

Ours aren't pedigreed or anything, but they're BCs nonetheless.

Kirsten (camera ham)
29822_kirsten.jpg

Mandy (camera shy)
29822_mandy.jpg

Kirsten came from the Lexington Humane Society in Lexington, KY. Mandy...we found her on the side of the road.

Both great dogs in their own ways, but really couldn't be any different in terms of personality and temperament.

Kirsten went under the fence and disappeared for 2-1/2 days once.. Mandy goes out the front door and lays on the porch. Kirsten has super high energy and loves to play with our other dogs. Mandy is more subdued, and doesn't like to play much. Kirsten is wary of strange people. Mandy loves all humans. Kirsten gets sick in the car. Mandy loves nothing more than a car ride, and will go with ANYBODY.

They're both neat dogs, though. I actually think Mandy could be trusted around chickens, and I know she's really good around goats. Kirsten? Probably not so much.

ETA: Before anybody comments on the fact that Mandy could double as an ottoman...we know she's fat. She has a thyroid condition, takes .8mg of levothyroxine twice a day. Only eats two level measuring cups of food a day, too, so it's not our fault. We do what we can. So, there.
gig.gif

Last edited:
Lovely dogs, cmjust0
hugs.gif

You know, I have loved GS's my whole life--but NOT their health problems. I'm swayed towards BC's, because of the dog I have now. It is such a shame that people take BC puppies home because they are a popular, intelligent breed. We live in the country, on a 5 acre farmette, with 100's of acres behind us. MY dog runs 2+ hours/daily. I am sure that your dog "Mandy" was dumped. (Glad the YOU found her!)
Funny, though it took seemingly F O R E V E R to get Rose to listen to us as a puppy. (My other dog, Pygma, never had that problem.) I was very worried when I took her to the Chicago suburbs to visit my mother last summer. I was sure that if I didn't keep my eye on her, she might wander. SHE was the one who kept her eye on ME. I left her at the house to go to the store, and my mom said she fretted the entire time I was gone. When we were outside in the yard, she had no desire to check out anybody else's yard. (She made me look like the greatest dog trainer.
lol.png
)
I'm gonna look at rescue BC's next time I need a dog.
SIL sent me some new photos from last Christmas:
Rose~
Roseaswolf1.jpg

Roseaswolf2.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom