BOSS - Shelled or unshelled? Other ??s

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
How much? How often?

Yes I could do a search, but I'm feeling lazy tonight so please humor me.

I'm looking for ways to up the girl's protein intake since some of them are doing the whole mini-moult thing.
Thanks!

I didn't know you could get it with the shells OFF!!!!
th.gif
I really hope I have been doing the right thing cause my sweeties LOVE it but I sure don't want to hurt them!!!

I only buy and feed the shelled/hulled Black Oil sunflower seeds for our flock. Never had a problem with them or should I say that the girls don't have a problem with them being in the shell.
wink.png

Dawn

Last edited:
uuh ohh!..i have been giving them the seeds with the shells on!..
th.gif
....is that okay?..

I mix BOSS as part of my scratch mix, and they dive for them first thing. They have shells on and I havent seen any problems at all.

Interesting...every once in awhile I find my chickens below the songbird feeder. I'll have to watch what they do with the whole seeds. I just assumed they would shell them.... odd!

Quote:
Yep, it's okay!
hugs.gif

I sure don't sit out there and take the shells off the seeds for ours girls. They eat the whole thing. I'm guessing that the grit in their crops makes easy work of the shells.

I throw out several handfuls, every other day or every few days. Sometimes I throw a handful into the coop litter and let the gang stir up the litter themselves...especially if it's cold and or raining.

Dawn

my girls eat the leftover shells from the wild bird feeders
roll.png

they come flying out of the coop first thing in the morning and then look around and the go flying right over the the spent shells once they remember they are there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom