Bossy Hen

Jaci33

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 4, 2014
I have a hen that controls the nesting boxes, first I had a pullet that quit laying because she can't use the boxes without her pecking at her and last she pecked at another till she never laid and this morning the one pecked at till she left the nesting pen laid her egg on the roost. What to do with the bossy hen

I have a hen that controls the nesting boxes, first I had a pullet that quit laying because she can't use the boxes without her pecking at her and last she pecked at another till she never laid and this morning the one pecked at till she left the nesting pen laid her egg on the roost. What to do with the bossy hen
Can you tell us a bit more about your setup? How many birds, total, and how much space do they have? Do they free range or are they confined?

You can do a few things - which is right is up to you:

1) - install a second nesting area (you can put boxes in the run, another part of the coop, etc - options vary depending on your setup) - the bossy hen can't be in two places at once, so the birds will have options on where to lay

2) - try removing and isolating bossy for a week or two then reintegrate her into the flock. The theory used here is that in her absence the pecking order will have shifted and she will be the "new girl" not the top bird - possible downside being that she may work to reclaim her spot and it could get ugly

3) cull the bossy bird from your flock - either by re-homing or inviting her to supper

Back
Top Bottom