Anyone who thinks being dominant means being cruel doesn't understand dogs or dog behavior. I am dominant merely in the way I carry myself, and I control their space. Never have I hit my dogs, an occasional poke in the neck, otherwise the tsst sound is all they need.

I could not peacefully keep 5 strong female dogs in the same house otherwise. I am law.

That being said my dogs are definitely spoiled and we'll treated, probably too well treated. Sounds like Gator is too.

Oh yeah, I don't think it's cruel necessarily, I just more use other names or methods I guess.

I think the problem comes from the people that used to alpha roll dogs, string them up, overuse corrections, beatdowns, etc., really trying to physically dominate the dog and creating a bad reputation for the word. Most people don't do that anymore and even a lot of alpha trainers now use clicker training to teach the dog and then if they use corrections, only introduce them after they're sure the dog knows the commands. People don't beat dogs anymore and if they did, even back in the day, they were never dog lovers to begin with, imo.

But yeah, Gator is definitely spoiled haha

I remember the days of the dominance rolls and the choke chain jerking. They always felt wrong to me. My way is similar to Cesar Milan, who has changed a bit in methods over the last few years. I find him brilliant. Others call him cruel. I think they don't understand what he's showing them.

Anyways, hopefully I haven't bored you with my dog ramblings, I love talking dog just as much as talking chickens, problem is people get a bit more upset sometimes talking dogs. As with everything there's no one right way.

Yeah exactly, that's always felt wrong to me too. I even still sometimes see people advocating it though :/ I don't really usually use Cesar but some of his methods aren't bad. I have seen a few cases where I think, imo, he was kind of mean to the dogs or in some cases made it worse, but then other times his stuff does work. My issue is more he was never really trained as a trainer. But people do seem to love him and I don't think it's as black and white as he's cruel or he's not. But I do tend to lean more towards the positive reinforcement/clicker side BUT I do think it's kind of stupid to say you can never tell a dog no, just like the people that believe that with children, so I do use corrections too but mostly just verbal now that he knows what's expected. Speaking of which I only correct once I'm sure he knows it. But so I guess that makes me more balanced than positive but idk. But it seems you use more the philosophy than necessarily the training techniques? Or do you use both? It seems like you somewhat do the NILF (nothing in life is free) thing and expecting certain behaviors, which I definitely do too.

And it's no problem. I love talking dogs too haha but yeah, people definitely get more upset about dogs. And you are right, there is no one right way. Which is why I use a combination of what I've learned and read, researched, etc. Over time haha

Wow that actually seema like a really cool way to raise them and your dogs seem to have a really good life being so free!

And my dad thinks I am kind of "mean" when I try to establish rules or too controlling or whatever... I say he needs to have rules and he is kind of a brat! But after reading how free your dogs have it, maybe I am.... :lau

But tbh Gator actually gets a lot for free too and is also free fed but I have read the NILIF is a good thing or like good to use if you have a problem dog or something but idk. But I was just reading more about it and it's basically just kinda like "say please" or like you do something I want before you get something you want, like sitting before a walk or meal. In theory, it does spund pretty good, but it's a lot of work too and also some people definitely take it really far and control every single thing and make them work even before they get pat or the leash unclipped at the dog park which I think is a bit ridiculous but I guess it all depends on what you want out of your dog. Anyway, I was worried to say Gator was free fed cause I figured you didn't. Most people freak out when you say that and/or say you can't possibly be alpha/in charge if you're not controlling the food. Gator is used tp be on a schedule when he was a puppy but now he's free fed cause he starves himself if he's not haha but he also stops eating when he's full so he doesn't over eat or anything. If he did I wouldn't do it. I don't think it affects who's in charge as long as you train and establish rules. Your dog should listen because you trained him to, not cause you feed him at a specific time lol

But how do you free feed with 5 dogs especially 5 females!? They don't fight over food? Do they each have their own bowls or one big bowl?

But yeah, I too like that they can eat when they're hungry. I mean, we can so why shouldn't they be allowed to?

And yeah my brother yells at the dog and stuff or gets mad when he doesn't listen when if you just ask him he does it haha

I find that odd too that no one apparently has Boston's, apparently they aren't in fashion currently. That's too bad they are a wonderful breed of dog.

I have 2 separate bowls of food about 7 feet apart. They all get hungry at different times so they all eat at different times. Everyone gets a bit of baked chicken in the morning in separate bowls but otherwise they share the 2 bowls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, apparently I have an issue with replying lol I meant to reply to this later but then apparently eventually forgot

Anyway, around here they're actually pretty popular and I've seen them a lot lately! But we are near Boston lol

I think you are right about the food thing

It's been a while since I posted! I have finally gotten a boston terrier. She's now 16 weeks old and all I've heard is horror stories with bostons and chickens. Even seen ads for people looking to rehome their boston for the killing spree.
She's about 10 lbs now and I feel like I need to get her acquainted with our flock. They rule the roost. Free range daily. We had to rehome one of our other dogs for killing chickens and guineas. The boston is already trying to chase the birds. I need advice on steps to take before is too late!! TIA!!

It's been a while since I posted! I have finally gotten a boston terrier. She's now 16 weeks old and all I've heard is horror stories with bostons and chickens. Even seen ads for people looking to rehome their boston for the killing spree.
She's about 10 lbs now and I feel like I need to get her acquainted with our flock. They rule the roost. Free range daily. We had to rehome one of our other dogs for killing chickens and guineas. The boston is already trying to chase the birds. I need advice on steps to take before is too late!! TIA!!
You need to vigilant and correct every attempt to chase your birds. My way is to start with the no, tsst sound. If they need better correction than every time I see chasing behaviors I toss my plastic coffee can I use to feed at them. I generally don't ever actually hit them, even if I do it's just a bump. A shaker can can also be used to distract. I have not failed to teach a single dog to not chase with this method, but if done incorrectly you can end up with a fearful dog, so it's important you give the correction at the proper time and without a sound from you.

A puppy is a puppy. You need to constantly be teaching them. It can take up to 2 years to totally raise a dog for me. Puppies go through many stages as they grow. They are like children in that they constantly need reminding and direction. Your pup also should get plenty of exercise which will help it be calmer.

If you don't have a lot of dog experience I suggest a few dog training classes to help you out. The trainer may have some ideas on helping you.

Another option is to always have your pup on a long line to maintain control. All dogs can be taught not to chase chickens. You need to make a long term commitment to teaching your pup, and expect it to take many months before your dog is well behaved.

Back
Top Bottom