I'm glad this thread has come active again. :)

Chief, congrats on the puppy. :)

You got some good advice from OHLD.

I would say another way is you could try rewarding her for ignoring the chickens and/or asking her to sit near them. Treats are an easy way but it doesn't have to be treats if you are opposed to them. She's young enough that it could just be praise and petting. Or a toy. But careful not to rile her up too much with either of those. Start at a distance where she is below her threshold aka calm, focused on you, and not freaking out or chasing/trying to get them. Then work closer and closer. This method does take longer but may have less risk of making her fearful. Although that could be good to avoid chicken chasing.

Some also advocate for a quick leash correction, either on a flat collar or choke, prong, or ecollar. But actually, thinking about it, I would never put those on a puppy that young. I also don't like them in general just because it's very easy to use them wrong/incorrectly and very few people actually put them on let alone use them correctly.

I would also say she may even be a little young for the throwing thing.

But you can also combine methods.

Some people even advocate teaching the rules positively first then correcting once you're sure they know what to do and how to act. Some say with chickens though to show them what NOT to do first, right away.

There are all sorts of different methods and opinions.

I agree though to definitely find a reputable trainer and one who's methods you agree with and get her in some puppy classes as well as start socializing if you haven't already done all this.

Here is a good article on it as well.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-your-dog-to-chickens-tips-tricks.66983/

And if you need info on socialization I have a few articles and graphics on that too. It is a lot more than just meeting dogs or doing a bunch of scary stuff. It should be fun and they also should be used to tons of different ground surfaces and types of people and stuff too

Speaking of which, thinking of revitalizing the Aussie thread too haha

Although I wish I could edit it cause the beginning post is just a straight wall of text :lau :oops:

Back
Top Bottom