bought two wyandottes but is this an australorp or roo?

Liney

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 3, 2012
I purchased two wyandottes, a golden laced and a silver laced. The silver laced instantly developed red waddles and comb. It looks like an Australorp. I have been told that it is a rooster, not by a reliable source. They are 9 weeks old, although this chicken appears bolder than the rest I am questioning if its not just a brave girl australorp. I cant tell the difference between the featheres of the chick and my proven adult hen australorp. I dont want to deliver the wrong sentence. I am in city limits and cant risk the first crowing attempts while away on vaca for three weeks. (have a terrible neighbor)
Any help please ?

It screams roo to me, and not sure on the breed, but I really don't thing that's a SLW. Mine never had a period of time when they were all black, even the roos.

Definitely a roo, sorry. The size and redness of the comb at only 9 weeks of age make that pretty certain. As for breed, I'm not sure. Australorps have a single comb so its not that but I couldn't tell you what it IS.

And on the "terrible neighbor", I totally get that. I'm currently also in the city but getting ready to move to some acreage outside city limits. I have great neighbors in back and to my east, who tell me they love the sound of my occasional accidental roos crowing. But the neighbor to my west calls animal control the first time he hears a rusty crow from a baby roo, so I've had to get rid of them as soon as that happens every time until now.

thinking roo too :-( it had a white belly as a baby, but all black now.
The golden one looks like a she right??

Back
Top Bottom