Boys or girls and thoughts on breed/breeds?

Anyone?? Just curious if the Roo will continue to be ok with them and hen eventually warm up to them or if maybe some are hens? I cant search site to find answers or other posts covering it. I keep them seperated for the most part but since they've been getting along I have been letting them spend more time together. Do I need to worry and keep them seperate or let them go until there's a real issue?

Well now Im starting to wonder. My roo is fine with these chicks now and only spars with the 2 I thought were boys. My hen on the other hand isnt fond of them at all. She attacks all of them. Would my Roo be ok with 5 more roo's? I expected issues from him and not the hen. Any idea's why Roo is ok with them and the hen isnt?
Your hen's behavior is normal, she's showing them who is the boss. The rooster is doing his job in finding food for the babies. However he will be less nice to them once they mature. As for keeping them all together, that just won't work. The males will probably constantly fight and all will be trying to breed your sole hen. You either need another 40+ hens or a bachelor pad for the extra males.

Agree with Keesmom. I know they may seem friendly and docile now but keeping 6 cockerels with one hen would not only be a bloody disaster for the males but that poor hen will just get ripped to shreds by all of them. Even keeping one cockerel and one hen isn't enough. I always have at least 5 hens per male. Your just asking for trouble as they get older.

They have seperate pens I was just expecting more trouble out of my roo and not the hen. I knew 1 hen and that many roo's wouldnt work for her. Just didnt think the roo would get along with roo's at all. There's not much I can do with them. Tried finding new homes but no takers and dont have it in me to wring their necks and not finding anyone who will. But thanks for the responses.

I agree with the others, it doesn't sound fair to any of them. The hen has to be lonely if she is separated (which she will have to be or she will be over mated almost instantly...) and for the boys to be stuck to fight it out with that many in a pen... just doesn't seem like the right thing to do. Sometimes as owners we have to make hard choices, and it sounds like you will have one soon enough. Good luck!!!!

I agree, eventually all owners will have to cull one of their birds weather they like it or not, due to illness or injury rather than letting them suffer. If you can't do it with your hands you could also use a small gage gun 22, 17 and you could shoot them in the head as well. For your extra roosters if you can't find anyone that wants them you could always look in your local phone book under "butchers". Almost every town has one that will kill and clean the birds, freezer ready for a few dollars.

I will check on butchers. I cant physically do it as I dont have the strength to wring or chop and I havent ever shot a gun and dont own one. Thanks for your responses.

Back
Top Bottom