boys or girls? giant cochins

Sweet Violet

Songster
10 Years
Jan 9, 2010
Vista CA
There are only 3 birds. All are 4 weeks old, Golden Laced LF Cochins. I'm thinking 3 roosters based on tail size but all my other boy cochins at 4 weeks old already were showing signs of red combs. I'm confused.
Any thoughts?

46841_092410.jpg

46841_092408.jpg

46841_092407.jpg

46841_092406.jpg

46841_092405.jpg

46841_092404.jpg

46841_092403.jpg

I have bantam cochins, and based on comb size I agree they look like pullets. I don't know much about tail feathers. My pullets have some tail feathers on them too. I just look at combs, unless it's silkies or unless I see some HUGE tail feathers.

Thank you also, I was wondering what kind of cochin I had with this kind of feather coloring. Golden laced! You solved the mystery! Your birds are beautiful, and I enjoyed seeing pics of them!

smile.png

Last edited:
They all look like pullets to me! The reason is that they have small, straight, pale combs and reasonably stubby tail feathers.

Good luck with the babies!
thumbsup.gif

Based on color, not comb, I'd say you have one cockeral and two pullets. LF Cochins are very slow to develop. Sometimes I can't tell with my LF Black Cochins until 8 weeks whether I have cockerals or pullets. But based on the color you have going on there, I would say the one with all the gold is your cockeral. And the other two are pullets.

Congrats on getting eggs from Rare Feathers. I've been eyeing those eggs. They have gorgeous birds!

Laurie

Thanks folks for the help! I tell you, the Lemon Blue LF Cochin eggs I hatched out from RFF had deep red combs at 4 weeks and the tallest legs I've ever seen!!
Naomi
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom