BR Rooster with red scabbed legs and frayed feathers (picture inc. ) LICE? MITES? help!!

what does the cat food do( just asking cause i have no clue)? My chickens already have free access to layer feed mixed with corn and wheat as well as oyster shell.
...I just went an doused them all with the dri-kill and worked it in good in their feathers especially on their backs, under their wings and by their vent. When i was doing that i noticed one of the hens had a rather bare bottom and saw some kind of little mite crawling .. will the dri-kill get rid of those?
I also sprinkled it lightly on their roosts, nest boxes and shavings. Tomo i am going to replace the shavings in their pen.

Sounds like you have mites. The Dri Kill should kill them, but be sure to treat them again in a week, so you can kill any newly hatched mites. I provide a dust bathing box for my girls and put DE in it for extra protection from mites. Its a lot less likely you will have a mite problem if your chickens have the ability to dust bathe.

Quote:
And don't get me wrong, I have nothing against hatchery birds, I have 9. They just don't usually meet up to Standard of Perfection a lot of people judge by. The great thing about hatchery birds is they are great layers, that is why I have the ones I do. I am moving into breeding/showing in the future so I am starting to get birds from breeders. There is a big difference in the two.

I am going to pick up so DE at TSE tomorrow. I don't really have room to have a dust bath (unfortunately) would it make sense if i mixed some of the DE in with the fresh bedding I am putting in?

Also should i use dri-kill on the chickens in the pen beside the barred rocks just in case?

sidenote: I got 6 laying hens in the spring and they came to me with some balding patches by their bums, which I now think that they probably had mites when they came to me... anyways they had an outside run and free ranged a couple of times and week and dust bathed all the time, they are just finished molting and all are beautifully feathered now and no bald spots.
I wish I could free range all my birds, but Im just not set up for that.

And don't get me wrong, I have nothing against hatchery birds, I have 9. They just don't usually meet up to Standard of Perfection a lot of people judge by. The great thing about hatchery birds is they are great layers, that is why I have the ones I do. I am moving into breeding/showing in the future so I am starting to get birds from breeders. There is a big difference in the two.
Yeah, My barred rocks are my only birds from a hatchery and up until this point i have had NO problems with them. They aren't amazing layers but i think they are still getting into the swing of things.Plus maybe the mites have hindered their laying if they are uncomfortable?
But yes I have heard there is differences, I was creeping one thread before and the BYC'ers BR hen didn't start laying until 27 weeks, I was kind of like..
th.gif
...i hope mine don't take that long.Then i read that they were heritage BR's. Mine started at 21 weeks thank goodness

Quote:
My BR's started around 19 weeks. I am getting 4 silkie day olds next week to put with the 2 eggs that will hatch from my own flock under my broody BR(6.5 months old). I have heard they take 25-40 weeks to start. These silkies are coming from Marge Best(very good breeder of SQ silkies), she lives a couple of miles from me. Yay. In the next year or two I am hoping to add some Favorelle's and Marans.

My BR's started around 19 weeks. I am getting 4 silkie day olds next week to put with the 2 eggs that will hatch from my own flock under my broody BR(6.5 months old). I have heard they take 25-40 weeks to start. These silkies are coming from Marge Best(very good breeder of SQ silkies), she lives a couple of miles from me. Yay. In the next year or two I am hoping to add some Favorelle's and Marans.
im routing for 25 weeks for ya!! 40 weeks is SOO long!! Ahh I am after Marans as well for the dark eggs, although my welsummers lay pretty dark eggs as is!

Today: I changed all the bedding and swept out the whole pen then lightly sprinkled DE on roost, floor and in nest boxes. Then put the fresh shavings in and sprinkled DE all over that. Two of the hens have pretty bald bottoms and one was a little bloodly from being pecked. I sprayed them with Blu-Kote that i have for my horses. The feed store didnt have no-peck but are going to order some for me.
I hope the dust bathe in all the new fresh shavings!!

Today: I changed all the bedding and swept out the whole pen then lightly sprinkled DE on roost, floor and in nest boxes. Then put the fresh shavings in and sprinkled DE all over that. Two of the hens have pretty bald bottoms and one was a little bloodly from being pecked. I sprayed them with Blu-Kote that i have for my horses. The feed store didnt have no-peck but are going to order some for me.
I hope the dust bathe in all the new fresh shavings!!

Nice work!! :) They will be back to glowing health in no time. :)

Back
Top Bottom