Brahma Breed?

chickenchick12

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 21, 2014
How can I tell if my Light Brahma is a pullet? It will be about 3 days old when I get it. I will be putting a lot of work into my bird so I need to make sure it's gender is right.

Thanks!
chickenchick12

You really can't tell at a young age you just have to hope for the best. There are people who are capable of telling gender just by looking at it but it's not really 100 percent accurate all the time. But you could get a couple of them so you had a higher chance of getting a pullet.

I can't afford more than one. Is there any way that I can tell by the wing feathers?
In rapid growing breeds yes but Brahma's are not really that kind it's normally a slow growing breed normally that is a hybrid bird that does that. Ducks on the other hand can be because they have outward genitles can be vent sexed at an early age but chicken don't have that. Are you getting these from a breeder?

You will not be able to accurately determine gender at 3 days old. As it grows up, males will develop wider, redder combs. Cockerels also tend to have thicker legs and a taller stance.

Where are you obtaining your bird from? If it is sold as a "vent sexed pullet" (ie from a hatchery or a retail farm store who has sourced from a hatchery) chances are fairly good that it will, in fact, be female (5-10% "oops" rate to be expected).

Chicks are about 3$, you're too strapped for cash to pick up more than 1?
I'm surprised that no one has piped in that your chick will possibly die if you try to raise it alone. They do not do well single. Most stores won't sell less than 6 for this very reason.

Chicks are about 3$, you're too strapped for cash to pick up more than 1?
I'm surprised that no one has piped in that your chick will possibly die if you try to raise it alone. They do not do well single. Most stores won't sell less than 6 for this very reason.

You are making a few assumptions here - first that this is the only chick/breed being picked up at the same time and that the OP is referring to purchasing cheap hatchery stock birds, second that this is the only bird the OP has/will have and third that the OP intends to purchase from a retail store....all of which *could* be accurate but could just as easily be completely false. It is generally more productive to make inquiries vs. assumptions.

Back
Top Bottom