Brahma Breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenchick12, Feb 12, 2015.

1. chickenchick12

chickenchick12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2014
    How can I tell if my Light Brahma is a pullet? It will be about 3 days old when I get it. I will be putting a lot of work into my bird so I need to make sure it's gender is right.

Thanks!
    chickenchick12

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    You really can't tell at a young age you just have to hope for the best. There are people who are capable of telling gender just by looking at it but it's not really 100 percent accurate all the time. But you could get a couple of them so you had a higher chance of getting a pullet.

3. chickenchick12

chickenchick12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2014
    I can't afford more than one. Is there any way that I can tell by the wing feathers?

4. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    In rapid growing breeds yes but Brahma's are not really that kind it's normally a slow growing breed normally that is a hybrid bird that does that. Ducks on the other hand can be because they have outward genitles can be vent sexed at an early age but chicken don't have that. Are you getting these from a breeder?

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You will not be able to accurately determine gender at 3 days old. As it grows up, males will develop wider, redder combs. Cockerels also tend to have thicker legs and a taller stance.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

Good luck with your chick!

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Where are you obtaining your bird from? If it is sold as a "vent sexed pullet" (ie from a hatchery or a retail farm store who has sourced from a hatchery) chances are fairly good that it will, in fact, be female (5-10% "oops" rate to be expected).

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree. Good luck in having a pullet.

9. Merro

Merro Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicks are about 3$, you're too strapped for cash to pick up more than 1?
    I'm surprised that no one has piped in that your chick will possibly die if you try to raise it alone. They do not do well single. Most stores won't sell less than 6 for this very reason.

10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    You are making a few assumptions here - first that this is the only chick/breed being picked up at the same time and that the OP is referring to purchasing cheap hatchery stock birds, second that this is the only bird the OP has/will have and third that the OP intends to purchase from a retail store....all of which *could* be accurate but could just as easily be completely false. It is generally more productive to make inquiries vs. assumptions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by