Brahma Breeders thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Wynette, Apr 11, 2014.

1. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    A young male that I am seriously thinking of using to head up a double laced, blue laced red project pen. He's a 2013 hatch that has taken a while to mature, what do you all think ? He's replacing some primaries.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. big medicine

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    Thinking of mating him up with some of these gals.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Tim63

Tim63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Texas
    I like him Gary. Good head, good width front to back, just POWERFULLY built in general. I assume you are talking about tail primaries as the tail looks a bit short and maybe a bit pinched? Can't comment on color as I know little(nothing) about what ever variety that is. Love his type. I appreciate the fact that in all your projects you stay true to Brahma type, AND you actually know what good Brahma type is. Awesome. I like the female too, looks like "blue jubilee" if there is such a thing?

Tim

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  4. big medicine

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    Thanks Tim.

Your Cornish background is showing,(not that there is anything wrong with that). But yeah, same basic color pattern as dark, and jubilee Cornish, double lace. In fact the black phase should look colored similar to a dark Cornish ( once I darken the red and the neck), and the splash should look very much like a jubilee, with the visual effect as a result of two copies of blue, instead of dominant white.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  5. bumpercarr

bumpercarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Tularosa, New Mexico
    I like him as well, nice and wide. But I'm not an expert by any means.

I am having a lot of trouble uploading pictures right now. I'll try again in a little bit.

6. bumpercarr

bumpercarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Tularosa, New Mexico
    Let's see if this works now. First pictures have two of the choices in them. Adult cock bird and 4 month old. Please excuse the wacky feathering....molt, weather changes, etc.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The third cockerel....6 months old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can be ruthless, I think I'm pretty aware of their shortcomings. I just need to pick one that I may be able to breed the faults out of more than the others. I've also got some eggs due to hatch this week from under a broody. Possibly I'll get a cockerel out of those.

My plan is to put one of these guys over my darks, they are pretty good (although, still not perfect).

7. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    A few updated pics of the chicks I got. 9-10 days old now.

Pullets
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cockerel
    [​IMG]

8. featherfeetfan

featherfeetfan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Ugh you guys have me drooling!! Love the blue laced read brahmas! I'm picking up some gold laced dan powell birds this weekend I'm excited but I have to trade him a pair of black bantams to get them, I'm a little stingy with them but its worth it I think. Thanks for sharing your beautiful birds!

9. anac1979

anac1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    FL
    Me too! ^ I already have some Gold Laced. I just want (ALL) the other colors now. :)

10. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Could you post pictures of the black bantams?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by