Brahma Breeders thread

I think it really depends on the rooster. I had two gold laced brahma cockerels raised together. One was always crowing and the other barely did. And the crowing one was less dominant then the quieter one. I kept the quieter of the two, and now that his brother is gone, I don't even here him crowing any more, even with roosters in other pens crowing, so it just really depends on the roosters personality.

currently he is just the one, maybe he is quiet because he has not sired an egg yet. GRRR!
he.gif

Some one gave me this roo as a chick about 7 months ago. he doesn't crow much is that a brahma trait? He is large, with big feathered feet, and not a long tail. Short comb.He is gentle with the hens, but I don't see him mount much, but he did before we got snow. can anyone give me good reasons to keep him?

I think large fowl Brahmas in general tend to be quieter than a lot of other breeds.

A few things to consider. Your guy is still a pup. large breeds take longer to mature. Also the days are getting shorter, as the day length increases in the spring hormone levels will rise accordingly.

The biggest drawback I can see from the photo of your cockerel is his wing structure and carriage. This is an inheritable trait. I would not consider a bird with this condition as a flock sire if I was giving any thought of raising chicks,

Last edited:
I just got 9 beautiful LF Brahmas. They're mixed colors. I have a partridge cockerel, a couple blue, gold and darks to go with my 2 dark pullets I already had. Wow the size difference between the real deal and hatchery crap breeding. I'm excited to have all of these chickens, and see what happens. The hens and pullets range in age from 1 1/2 yrs down to 8 month. The cockerel is about 8 months. He is 3x as big as my biggest hatchery cockerel was. My 1 hatchery pullet I have left is a skinny tiny thing compared to the smallest of these I just got. Now I know what everyone says about their size is true. I'm still letting them get settled in and trying my hardest not to start physically handling them yet. I really really want to though. I swear the cockerel is almost as tall as my dogs shoulder and the dog is full grown. I'm hoping by the end of January, beginning of February I'll start getting eggs after they've all settled in, and decided their placements in the pecking order. I'll try to get some pictures this afternoon of them.

Back
Top Bottom