Brahma Breeders thread

I've been trying. I'm about to start my 3rd batch of 6 eggs in the incubator. If it doesn't work this time I'm going to let my Broody have a go. If that doesn't work then I'll just have 11 chickens until I either figure this silly thing out or scream.

Has anyone started hatching yet?
I've hatched six so far. My girls are just starting to lay in the last few months, plus I really need to trim some vents so fertility is not at all up to par yet. But that doesn't make the few chicks any less cute. :)

Hey guys, how do you get the pullorum cert? Even though all of mine are for home use I'm curious. Also how do you keep any wild birds from coming into your yards? My backyard is pretty big so I can't pop any kind of net over it without the net also keeping me, and the chickens out of the yard. I'm getting the grass to grow better for them already and a net would prevent that from happening.

http://www.poultryimprovement.org/statesContent.cfm

I had a rat terrier who was hell on wheels when it came to keeping sparrows out and away from the coop. My young LGD (livestock guard dog) will not tolerate large birds flying over the yard, a turkey vulture floating by gets her attention, and if too close she makes sure she is seen and gives it a few deep barks. We have had a pair of pileated woodpeckers working a tree near my small coop this winter, she keeps an eye on them but seems to realize they are no threat to the birds.

I just popped 12 in the incubator. I also got an egg turner put in last night. I have the temp stable at 102 as long as I don't mess with it, and humidity is at 40%. I've discovered 1 of,my mistakes during the last batch was that I wasn't using warm water. I'm also using sponges to hold the water instead of putting it in the little runnels. I'm going to chalk the other 2 batches as lessons. I now have a thermometer and hygrometer probe on each side of the eggs so I know what's going on at both ends of the lines. Hopefully this time is the charm. Otherwise Big Mama won't be out of either of her jobs lol. I'm really really hoping these hatchand get a bunch of pretty babies. My boys will bo get a pullet to raise as a pet too.

Has anyone started hatching yet?
I had 5 dozen largefowl buff brahma eggs set, and we had a snow storm and 2 day power outage, I chucked all eggs. So, I'm collecting again, but because it is winter, it is Canada--I really should wait till May!
I'm collecting till Sunday, and will set again.

I had 5 dozen largefowl buff brahma eggs set, and we had a snow storm and 2 day power outage, I chucked all eggs. So, I'm collecting again, but because it is winter, it is Canada--I really should wait till May!
I'm collecting till Sunday, and will set again.

That's rotten. Sorry that you lost the batch. I don't think I'm meant to do incubation. I might just have to wait and let my Broody do the work. I have a feeling this batch of 12 isn't going to pan out. I actually have the temps stable but something tells me I'm not going to get anything out of it.

Back
Top Bottom