Brahma, Plymouth Rock, or Orpington

The Ballet Chicken

In the Brooder
Nov 10, 2017
I am hoping to get chickens around a year from now and can not decide what breed would be best. I was thing either brahma, plymouth rock, or orpington. I have limited space and I need a quiet breed because I would be keeping them in my backyard in an urban neighborhood that does not allow chickens (although I am going to try and convince them). I would like a good to moderate egg laying breed that does not go broody to often. Also how many chickens do I need to have? If i had 1 or 2 would they get lonely?

I have Barred Rocks (Plymouth rock variation) and they are the sweetest. They lay a good amount of eggs a year, and BARELY goes broody, since they had the broody bred out of them. I also have Orpingtons and Orpingtons go broody a lot, but they do lay a lot of eggs. They also are sweethearts. I don’t have/know about brahmas but I recommend Plymouth Rocks for your situation.

Thanks that's very helpful. How many chickens do you need to have? If I only have 1 or 2 would they get lonely?
Well you should have at least two, and raise them together, if you decide you want more later (if your neighborhood allows) then you can get more, but to make sure your chickens doesn’t get lonely or sad, at least have 2.

I too think the Barred Rocks are a good choice. I have several friends who live in the city and who I provide pullets to go live in the city. This works out very well because I make sure they get only hens/ pullets and if one doesn't work out, they can trade it out for a new one. This also helps because they can start with only two. If something happens to one, then I get them another one. I have only had one or two returned and by far the Barred rocks seem to be the favorite.

if you haven't found a source for them yet, you might find a country chicken friend and work out a deal. That will allow you to choose quiet, good laying pullets who won't disturb the neighbors (until they get used to fresh farm eggs and start begging you to get more hens):p

Back
Top Bottom