Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok - I get most of what you are saying, but at what point would you cull if a chick didnt have feathers down it's middle toe? Sick or Weak ain't staying - but from a cosmetic stand point, when does that start for you all?

Quote:
There is tons of good info in the new ABC handbook on the subject of culling. I remember in one article in particular, Mark Peterson says it takes Standard Brahmas TWO years to fully mature. As far as the no feathers on the middle toe, I'm not sure-I have not had that problem with my bantams. I have just gotten some large dark eggs this spring. I can tell you, they are MUCH, MUCH slower to feather than my bantams are. I have 4 week old bantams that are fully featherd(mostly anyway), while the large darks have:primaries, secondaries, and some feathers on the breast. It just takes an incredible amount of patience with the large birds.

You might try asking on the brahma site, not sure it would help. I think culling is just something that comes with experience. I have asked the question, the one word that I always hear is patience. The Handbook does give some insite on the subject.

Thank you, Dan.

The colouring is very like the bird in the link with yellowish colouring where the rusty/red areas are on the Red Pyle.

I don't have any Lemon Pyle but was thinking of getting a few and wondered what colours I would end up with if there were random matings.

Matt, why not talk to Susan or Carole? They have more experience with the large birds, especially darks.

Dan, as I'm sure you know, a "white" Brahma is a recognized variety in the Bantam Standard. I have never seen one, and I don't know anyone who has. Greg Williams said a white would have been easier to develop than his blacks were. (He hates to wash birds!) Anyway, could you briefly describe the steps it might take to arrive at a White Brahma bantam? Maybe at least step one?

Thank you!
Tim Lindenborn

I agree, early on I had recessive white from their white cornish heritage show up fairly regularly in my birds. I would think putting a bantam light Brahma male over bantam white Cornish hens would be a good start. Assuming the white is masking dark cornish color like in the large fowl I used. Both e^b based, no comb, or leg color issues, improved head. You could take this in many directions, white Brahmas, improve heads on lights, make silver laced in both breeds, silver quail, if so inclined. Actually, I have seen bantam silver laced Cornish years ago at the Ohio National.

I am going to get my first brahmas today!!! Light ones....I may stop by the feed store and get a couple buff ones too. I am traveling about 2 hours, any suggestions on how to keep the chickies warm?? I aM soo excited!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom