Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bop would be in order. The whole "show quality" business drives me crazy. I hatch a hundred or so every year and maybe a fifth end up being what I would consider show worthy. Ruthless culling is required to be successful at showing or breeding.

A bop would be in order. The whole "show quality" business drives me crazy. I hatch a hundred or so every year and maybe a fifth end up being what I would consider show worthy. Ruthless culling is required to be successful at showing or breeding.
lol.png
You don't have to cull all of them....you can send them my way!
lau.gif
My GF has made the house into a chicken sanctuary. If I want to eat a chicken I have to go down to my friends house and get my meat birds and have it clean and in a package before I come back with it.....
th.gif

WOW, awesome! They must be good if you can already tell they are show birds and they are STILL in the hatcher. What line are they out of? I might need to get some of those.
droolin.gif
celebrate.gif
clap.gif
wee.gif
Ok since we are taking it literally
smack.gif
lol let me refraze the stock they come from are show quality
celebrate.gif
so therefore increasing our odds of some high quality breeders to work with
fl.gif
. They came from Dick Hortsman.
clap.gif
Yes I do realize of course that you would never get all high quality birds but starting with quality is better than starting with who knows what.

Last edited:
Good for you!!! I bet they Turn out PERFECT!!!!! We want peeper pictures!!!

I will be very happy with just good healthy cute breeding stock. A few award winners might be nice for the kids to show or maybe we might get a little carried away
woot.gif
. I ordered one of those new machines that can predict the quality of the chic before its hatched
gig.gif
. oh yeh and they will be perfectly mine, mine mine.
jumpy.gif

Each egg I hatch is like a Christmas present. The eggs are the Christmas packages...

Last edited:
I use a ladder roost for all my Brahmas, the first rung is 13 inches from the floor, they are heavy birds and they all want to be on the top rung of the roost. I have had a hen pushed off and she broke her leg, so all my roosts now have a shelve under the top rung with wire trays covered with newspaper for easy clean up and safety.
Lorrie
Lorrie,
Sorry about your chicken's leg. Do vet's in your area care for chickens? I hope she's o.k. Please keep us updated on her. Thanks for letting us know about what happened so we can avoid it ourselves. I'll make sure the roosts in my coop all go in at a foot or less.
Vicki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom